Guides and Rails Book

Daniel Lopes

Mar 26, 2009, 8:17:53 AM3/26/09
to Rails Activism
Rails guides are amazing, and became a huge start point and reference
guide. Some times ago, I saw the idea of create a Rails Comunity Book
and this idea don't go further yet ( I think because everybody now
focus on wiki and guides ).

Why we not release the guides contents as pdf book? If we find a easy
way to convert all guides in a PDF version that anyone can download or
print (maybe buy from lulu.com).

I think is good way to keep focus centralized (in guides) and still
have a good and actual book.

Mike Gunderloy

Mar 26, 2009, 8:29:54 AM3/26/09
to rails-a...@googlegroups.com
The Rails Book is still in the planning stages, though it hasn't been
a front-burner project yet. The planned Rails Book has a distinctly-
different format and goal from the Guides: http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2009/1/15/rails-documentation-projects
explains the visions.

If you'd like to work on the Rails Book, Matt Aimonetti would be the
one to tackle.

You should also note that the Guides are released under a CC-SA
license - so if you'd like to do the work of converting to book form,
feel free! You'll find the Textile source in the current Rails tree
under /railties/guides if you want to start from there.

Mike

Daniel Lopes

Mar 27, 2009, 9:58:02 AM3/27/09
to Rails Activism
Thanks Mike, the convert guides to the book was only a basic idea. For
now I can't help a lot because I'm workin on the translation of
docrails to portuguese-br and we almost finished (http://
wiki.github.com/cassiomarques/docrails_pt-br) ... after we finish the
translation I will try help in wiki (specially in the design) and then
I can work on book (my english is not very well at the point to write
a book, so I can help with diagramming and design services)