Ruby developer guide to upgrade to Snow Leopard

Matt Aimonetti

Aug 30, 2009, 7:55:43 PM8/30/09
to Rails Activism
Here are all the basic information you need to smoothly upgrade to Snow Leopard: http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2009/8/30/upgrading-to-snow-leopard

- Matt

Vahagn Hayrapetyan

Aug 31, 2009, 2:48:53 AM8/31/09
to rails-a...@googlegroups.com
Fabulous - I was just about to order SL.

/ Vahagn

Mustafa Ekim

Aug 31, 2009, 3:17:17 AM8/31/09
to rails-a...@googlegroups.com
I've always wondered the reasons behind the good relationship between
macos X and rails community.

does anybody know something about that? does apple support rails or ruby
more than others or what else?

Matt Aimonetti

Aug 31, 2009, 3:51:55 AM8/31/09
to rails-a...@googlegroups.com
Mustafa,

 Matz, Ruby's author only got his first mac last year and I believe he still does most of his work on Linux.
However, most of the US developers, starting with DHH were on Apple when Rails started to become popular.
Until recently, Ruby on Windows was a very painful thing, the problem isn't fully resolved but it's better now.

MacOSX is built on bsd, offering the low level tools + a well designed, nice to use windowing system.
Of course TextMate also helped things up.
Finally, Apple decided to embrace Ruby, bundled it with the OS then shipped Rails with the OS.
Ruby and Rails are used by Apple itself and they invested in MacRuby, their open source Ruby implementation that runs on top of the Objective-C runtime.

So, to sum up, the Ruby community in the US openly favorited Apple and Apple returned the favor. If you have the opportunity to come to a Rails conf, you will more than likely see a great majority of Apple laptops.

- Matt

Mustafa Ekim

Aug 31, 2009, 4:03:52 AM8/31/09
to rails-a...@googlegroups.com
thanks for clarification. I was observing the same in the pictures of
that conference.

even though I am sometimes suffering a lot in my linux box (not related
with ruby or ror) I've never though to move to apple, maybe because I
think it is like windows but maybe I am wrong.

Matt Aimonetti

Aug 31, 2009, 4:17:02 AM8/31/09
to rails-a...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mustafa,

It's not about being right or being wrong, it's all about being a happy developer :)

- Matt

John Yerhot

Aug 31, 2009, 11:43:18 AM8/31/09
to Rails Activism
Yeah, I ended up doing a clean install. Too much stuff broke for me
on upgrade (MacPorts, MySQL, Postgresql, etc..) and I didn't have the
patience to figure the issue out.

Great to hear that 1.9.2 will be "prefered" by Rails 3.