One way to promote Rails

1 view

Eric Gruber

Sep 3, 2009, 4:54:24 PM9/3/09
to Rails Activism
Where I live in Lawrence, Kansas, we have a group of Rails enthusiasts
that meeting a couple of times a month. We hash out ideas and problems
over food and drink. We are a small group, but we're great company and
I think learn from the discussions. I know I have.

Today, the group sponsored a local Twestival set for next week. See
http://lawrence.twestival.com for more info. The money will go toward
a good cause - a local humane shelter - and the sponsorship we
provided will include this:

"Mentions in publicity, acknowledged on Twitter (no link as will be
multiple businesses per tweet), acknowledged on local Twestival
website with link to sponsor business, logo on signage at event."

So, why do this?

First and foremost, it's for a good cause.

Second, there's a chance that someone will ask themself "What's
Rails?" and head to our website at http://www.lawrenceonrails.org.
Maybe she or he will be interested in learning more. We're happy to
have them drop by our meetup.

Lastly, our group exists where Django was born. Promotion lets others
know about people using alternatives to the mainstream (at least,
locally) for anyone interested (Sidenote: I don't care what you prefer
to use, be it Django, Rails, or Cobol - just create something!)

That's my food for thought. Find a local event, get everyone to chip
in any amount, and do some sort of sponsorship. Don't have a local
group? Then sponsor on behalf of Ruby on Rails. Better yet, start one!

Matt Aimonetti

Sep 3, 2009, 4:59:06 PM9/3/09
to rails-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

 Thanks for sharing, this is a great idea you guys had.

- Matt

Vahagn Hayrapetyan

Sep 3, 2009, 5:18:57 PM9/3/09
to rails-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,-

thanks for this, this is really good because it puts substance behind "social". Social web development sponsoring a social / humane cause - that's good branding. Good for the animals, too.

Cheers,
Vahagn

Vahagn Hayrapetyan

Sep 3, 2009, 5:22:35 PM9/3/09
to rails-a...@googlegroups.com
PS. I'd optimize those title tags for better findability though - "Lawrence" is a great name but you'd want to be found on the topic of the site, right? :-)

/ Vahagn

Eric Gruber

Sep 11, 2009, 2:19:15 PM9/11/09
to Rails Activism
And finally, a picture to show what a little donation can do.

From last night's events: http://twitpic.com/h9t06 (bottom right-hand
corner).