Rails in Mexico's most expensive University?

alan_andrade

Sep 18, 2009, 6:47:35 PM9/18/09
to Rails Activism
Hello! My name is Alan Andrade. I study here in Mexico, Puebla. in the
UDLAP http://www.udlap.mx I'm a Rails Lover and I have a huge
activism feeling as well as every user in this community. I'm posting
this to let you guys know that there is at least one Rails activist
here in Mexico.I'm sure there are a lot more!

I want to do something in my community. Maybe conferences or talks.
Right now I don't have support from other student or friend in the
community. Maybe here in Puebla is not the right place to promote
Rails. I guess there is no interest. I have to research about it
though.
Thinking in Mexico City, the panorama is bigger. More people, more
universities. I'm sure there is people interested. (I'm live in Mexico
City BTW...)

What you guys think?

Please let me know... Even you think is a bad idea...

Follow me on twitter @alan_andrade or write to my email please.

Matt Aimonetti

Sep 20, 2009, 10:33:10 PM9/20/09
to rails-a...@googlegroups.com
There isn't a place that isn't the right place to promote Rails ;)

I can only advise to start by setting up a meet up group, something like meeting once a month, have a presentation, hack together and go out together to share a drink/meal.

Regarding Puebla vs Mexico City, I live in San Diego 2 hours away from L.A. and it looks like it's easier for us to get together than it is for the L.A. developers. Organizing meetups in big cities is really challenging as people have to go through traffic to meet.

I hope that helps,

- Matt

alan_andrade

Sep 21, 2009, 10:09:25 AM9/21/09
to Rails Activism
Matt Aimonetti:

Thanks for your advice!

I will start here with a small group and making a tiny conference to
present rails. I really really want to make this happen, so I will be
back with some news! :D

Puebla vs Mexico. Is 2 hours far, BUT, the damn traffic may delay your
destination 2 more hours.... that's creepy... I'll start here in
cholula puebla.

Again. Thank you very much. Of course you advice helped. And Take
Care!!!

On Sep 20, 9:33 pm, Matt Aimonetti <mattaimone...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There isn't a place that isn't the right place to promote Rails ;)
>
> I can only advise to start by setting up a meet up group, something like
> meeting once a month, have a presentation, hack together and go out together
> to share a drink/meal.
>
> Regarding Puebla vs Mexico City, I live in San Diego 2 hours away from L.A.
> and it looks like it's easier for us to get together than it is for the L.A.
> developers. Organizing meetups in big cities is really challenging as people
> have to go through traffic to meet.
>
> I hope that helps,
>
> - Matt
>
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 3:47 PM, alan_andrade <galli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello! My name is Alan Andrade. I study here in Mexico, Puebla. in the
> > UDLAPhttp://www.udlap.mx I'm a Rails Lover and I have a huge

alan_andrade

Oct 9, 2009, 8:12:20 PM10/9/09
to Rails Activism
Ok People! Guess What........

Professors granted me the permission to make a tiny-conference about
Rails in my University!!!!!!!!

They are intrigued about the theme and will assist too. They are very
supportive and I feel this is a great first Step!!!

The conference will be October, Monday 19th at 5pm Mexico's time. I'm
planning to transmit it through justin.tv or ustream.tv to let you
know what's going on, and receive comments from you. I would love to
hear you.

I will document the event for you guys to know what happened. I'm
really happy. Now I'm an active Activists! >D

See you soon with some excellent news.

Matt Aimonetti

Oct 9, 2009, 9:24:04 PM10/9/09
to rails-a...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations, let us know how it goes and if we can help.

Good luck,

- Matt

Gray Herter

Oct 11, 2009, 6:35:15 PM10/11/09
to rails-a...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. You might want to review this posting as a check list to
make sure you have everything covered.

http://chadfowler.com/2007/3/26/how-to-run-a-small-conference

Sounds like you have the venue issue worked out, which is one of the
most important and problematic ones.

Also, you probably want to get on the conference organizers list.
Looks like your event is pretty low key, considering you are having it
in a month! Step one for a 'normal' regional conference would be to
pick a date at least six months in advance. But if you want to expand
it in the future, this is a handy place to ask any questions you have.

http://groups.google.com/group/regional-rubyconf-organizers?lnk=iggc

Gray

alan_andrade

Oct 27, 2009, 8:12:50 PM10/27/09
to Rails Activism
Thank you very much for your post Gray. It helped me a lot!!! I didn't
know there was a guide to learn how to run a small conference.

Tomorrow is the conference and I'm preparing right now. I hope is not
too late! (Everything will be ok....)

I will get back tomorrow at night with some news about the event,
photos, and comments.

The assistance is cool to be first meeting. I'm waiting 10 o more! For
me is GREAT!!!

See ya soon and thank you so much for your support all of you guys. =D

On Oct 11, 4:35 pm, Gray Herter <gray.her...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Awesome.  You might want to review this posting as a check list to
> make sure you have everything covered.
>
> http://chadfowler.com/2007/3/26/how-to-run-a-small-conference
>
> Sounds like you have the venue issue worked out, which is one of the
> most important and problematic ones.
>
> Also, you probably want to get on the conference organizers list.
> Looks like your event is pretty low key, considering you are having it
> in a month!  Step one for a 'normal' regional conference would be to
> pick a date at least six months in advance.  But if you want to expand
> it in the future, this is a handy place to ask any questions you have.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/regional-rubyconf-organizers?lnk=iggc
>
> Gray

alan_andrade

Oct 28, 2009, 10:55:23 PM10/28/09
to Rails Activism
Woooooha!!!!!

GREAT DAY for Ruby on Rails!

I want to tell you guys the conference we did in the university was
AWESOME!

People from Mexico visited us! From another great University (ANAHUAC)

Everyone was amazed with the power of Rails. The were skeptical until
scaffold did the job. Everybody was like :O

Thanks guys for your support. Really really. I'm very happy.

Next Wednesday will be another one to cover a little more detailed
things.

I will keep you informed about the progress. A conference for the
other university (Anahuac) is in progress of acceptance. Isn't that
great?!?!

Thanks. Soon.

Matt Aimonetti

Oct 29, 2009, 2:55:46 AM10/29/09
to rails-a...@googlegroups.com
Great job, keep us posted.

- Matt

John Yerhot

Oct 29, 2009, 12:16:37 PM10/29/09
to Rails Activism
That's pretty cool. Good for you guys.

Gray Herter

Oct 29, 2009, 12:22:48 PM10/29/09
to rails-a...@googlegroups.com
Did you show them localization? My main app (for the State Dept) is
localized into about 10 different languages, and I always get a charge
out of seeing it in another language, usually German for me.

Anyway, glad to hear things went so well.

Gray