Time to restart?

1 view

progfrog

Jun 20, 2009, 2:07:15 AM6/20/09
to railfrog-dev
Hi Frogs,

It has been a while since we did any serious progress on Railfrog.
While the project is not dead, we have not been able to make any real
progress visible.

Anybody ready and willing to pick up the ball again?

Croak!

--progfrog

Thomas Nichols

Jun 20, 2009, 11:31:01 AM6/20/09
to railfrog-dev

> Anybody ready and willing to pick up the ball again?

Excellent timing -- I need some updates and will be spending some time
on it over the next few weeks.

I'm proposing we use the GitHub issue-tracker for new tickets, since
the code is already there. Older tickets that are still valid could
get migrated if we feel energetic; and since the GitHub wiki doesn't
yet support Markdown perhaps we could continue with the old CVSDude
wiki for now. I've updated http://wiki.github.com/railfrog/railfrog
with links. Anyone have any other preferences?

I see dmplaneta has forked recently on GitHub and is working on my
highest priority, migrating from Rails 2.0 to Rails 2.3. I'm going to
look at replacing the current symlink-based setup with git submodules
so it works better on Windows.

progfrog -- you able to dive in and help?

-- Thomas

Prog Frog

Jun 20, 2009, 11:46:33 AM6/20/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Yes, a migration to Rails 2.3 is dearly needed.

Good idea to use git submodules so that the project becomes more
Windows friencly.

Sure, I can dive!

--progfrogg
--
http://railfrog.com/
Railfrog, the user-friendly, open-source web site deployment and

Shawn Anderson

Jun 20, 2009, 11:54:15 AM6/20/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
I'm still around.  I just don't have the time to actively develop, but I'll still chime in from time to time.  :D

Ribbit?

/Shawn

Prog Frog

Jun 20, 2009, 12:13:41 PM6/20/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Hey Shawn!

Nice to hear from you again. Please do chime in whenever you want...
we always need cheerleaders!

Croak!

--progfrog

Bèr Kessels

Jun 21, 2009, 3:45:38 PM6/21/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Shawn Anderson<sha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm still around. I just don't have the time to actively develop, but I'll
> > still chime in from time to time. :D
> >
> > Ribbit?

Good to hear the frog is back.

Is there some kind of roadmap? And if no? could people send me some
actual plans and wishes, so that I can make a proposal?

Bèr

Prog Frog

Jun 21, 2009, 4:23:19 PM6/21/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ber

Nice to see you here again! How's Drupal land?

For the moment we have two priorities.

First restructure the git repository so that it becomes easier to get
started, especially for those on Windows. We'll write some clearer
instruction for this purpose too.

Second, port to RoR 2.3 and then RoR 3.0.

Yes, I have a few (many, many, many more!) ideas about a road map -
nothing written down yet.

I know you have many too! :-)

Lets brainstorm... please post your top 10 items on you wish list.
This invitation open to anybody else too.

Croak!

--progfrog

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Bèr Kessels<b...@webschuur.com> wrote:

> Good to hear the frog is back.
>
> Is there some kind of roadmap? And if no? could people send me some
> actual plans and wishes, so that I can make a proposal?
>
> Bèr

Greg

Jun 21, 2009, 5:42:47 PM6/21/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
1) ability to create content 'types' on the fly (ie, I want comments,
articles and blocks, I can 'create' these definitions in the admin
interface, and define their relationships)

IMHO this is going to a big win. Radiant is cool, but trying to force
it into anything it's not is a headache)

2) by default, no haml or sass. They make me want to gouge out my
eyes. :p. Keep the templating system simple.

3) easy SEO. one of the big complains about all of the ruby cms's out
there is that SEO is not really trivial. Honestly, I see a ton of big
ruby sites running wordpress as a side cms.

4) easy extension system. Here i am not thinking plugins, but smaller
level. I'll ponder this and write up a use case.

5) stable API level for third party devs.

I snagged the Github version and am getting my toes wet again :)

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 21, 2009, at 1:23 PM, Prog Frog <progfrog...@gmail.com>

Prog Frog

Jun 22, 2009, 2:21:42 AM6/22/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Hey Greg

Nice to see you splashing around again!

1 - Content types on the fly: yes, nice!

2 - Templating system: this is very high on the agenda, since we
always had security issues with the current implementation. In fact it
was just this that has always prevented us from putting up a runnable
demo site! So yes, this is a must!

3 - SEO. This is a must too. I don't know from where to start though,
because I don't know enough about it. Any further input on this one -
by anybody - will be much appreciated.

4 - Can you elaborate on exactly how you would see this "easy
estension system" implemented? Are there any other inspiring examples
you can point to?

5 - Stable API: yes, this is a must too.

Thanks for the input. This is a good start!

Croak!

--
progfrog

-ST

Shawn Anderson

Jun 22, 2009, 11:06:35 AM6/22/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
FYI:
I've gotten railfrog added to:
http://ruby-toolbox.com/categories/content_management_systems.html

hope it helps...

/Shawn

Prog Frog

Jun 22, 2009, 11:54:54 AM6/22/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Shawn

Nice move! Thanks!

We appear to be the underdog of rails cmses there! But that's only a
temporary glitch in history... ;-)

Croak

--progfrog

Saurabh@Safew

Jun 30, 2009, 8:36:25 AM6/30/09
to railfrog-dev
Fellow Frogs,

I know I am new to this swamp, but I am also ready to croak and dive
into development.

I will branch in the code and start some serious development on this.

Extension architecture can be like plugins?, thats the most effective
form of

extending the framework too.

Hope to Hop together in this swamp

Cheers

Saurabh

On 22 June, 20:54, Prog Frog <progfrog.railf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shawn
>
> Nice move! Thanks!
>
>  We appear to be the underdog of rails cmses there! But that's only a
> temporary glitch in history... ;-)
>
> Croak
>
> --progfrog
>

> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Shawn Anderson<shaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > FYI:
> > I've gotten railfrog added to:
> >http://ruby-toolbox.com/categories/content_management_systems.html
>
> > hope it helps...
>
> > /Shawn
>
> > On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Prog Frog <progfrog.railf...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> Hey Greg
>
> >> Nice to see you splashing around again!
>
> >> 1 - Content types on the fly: yes, nice!
>
> >> 2 - Templating system: this is very high on the agenda, since we
> >> always had security issues with the current implementation. In fact it
> >> was just this that has always prevented us from putting up a runnable
> >> demo site! So yes, this is a must!
>
> >> 3 - SEO. This is a must too. I don't know from where to start though,
> >> because I don't know enough about it. Any further input on this one -
> >> by anybody - will be much appreciated.
>
> >> 4 - Can you elaborate on exactly how you would see this "easy
> >> estension system" implemented? Are there any other inspiring examples
> >> you can point to?
>
> >> 5 - Stable API: yes, this is a must too.
>
> >> Thanks for the input. This is a good start!
>
> >> Croak!
>
> >> --
> >> progfrog
>
> >> -ST

> --http://railfrog.com/

Prog Frog

Jun 30, 2009, 9:16:59 AM6/30/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Saurabh

You're welcome to splash around here!

We have always had serious intentions to get a working extension
architecture in place. I am looking forward to your proposal.

Regards

--progfrog

Prog Frog

Jul 1, 2009, 4:09:08 PM7/1/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Shawn

I noticed they're monitoring http://github.com/railfrog/railfrog, but
maybe it would be better to have them monitor
http://github.com/railfrog/railfrogcms... can you ask them to change
to that instead?

Croak!

--progfrog