railfrog readme

mike_255

Jun 30, 2009, 8:48:51 AM6/30/09
to railfrog-dev
hi,

am a little stuck on the final step, i am not sure what directory to
run "rake _0.7.3_ db:migrate" would appreciate any help here.

regards,
michael wright

Prog Frog

Jun 30, 2009, 9:08:11 AM6/30/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
You issue the rake command in the main project directory.

That is, after you git clone say in workdir, you will have

workdir/railfrogcms

then you

cd raifrogcms

and inside railfrogcms you do the rake.

Croak!

--progfrog
--
http://railfrog.com/
Railfrog, the user-friendly, open-source web site deployment and

Prog Frog

Jun 30, 2009, 9:22:52 AM6/30/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Also, the newest README here...

http://github.com/progfrog/railfrogcms/blob/2fe3457b847c0f7a5cfc723172555bdde76ed9b0/README.md

... is probably easier to follow

Croak!

--progfrog

mike_255

Jun 30, 2009, 2:26:12 PM6/30/09
to railfrog-dev
thank you for the help :)

i followed the steps and everything seemed to be working fine until i
started the server and attempted to navigate to the railfrogcms admin
page using the link on the git readme. got an error message saying
that firefox could not connect me to localhost:3000. would greatly
appreciate any help you could give me here.

kind regards,
michael wright

On Jun 30, 2:08 pm, Prog Frog <progfrog.railf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You issue the rake command in the main project directory.
>
> That is, after you git clone say in workdir, you will have
>
> workdir/railfrogcms
>
> then you
>
> cd raifrogcms
>
> and inside railfrogcms you do the rake.
>
> Croak!
>
> --progfrog
>
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM,
>
> mike_255<michael.wright...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > hi,
>
> > am a little stuck on the final step, i am not sure what directory to
> > run "rake _0.7.3_ db:migrate"  would appreciate any help here.
>
> > regards,
> > michael wright
>
> --http://railfrog.com/

Prog Frog

Jun 30, 2009, 2:37:14 PM6/30/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Well... first the obvious question: did you start the rails development
webserver on your machine? You do this typically by running the
railfrogcms/script/server script.

--progfrog

mike_255

Jun 30, 2009, 3:56:47 PM6/30/09
to railfrog-dev
yeah that is what i did. i went into railfrogcms on the command
prompt, ran ruby script/server (am using windows) and the webrick
server booted up fine. i then clicked on the link and that is where
the problems started.
in a message sent by someone on the development team to my lecturer
last night, they stated that they were yet to run the new version of
railfrog on windows however, they didnt anticipate any problems here.
was wondering if railfrog has successfully been used on windows? maybe
this is the cause of the problem?
kind regards,
michael wright

Prog Frog

Jun 30, 2009, 4:23:14 PM6/30/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

Have you been able to run other RoR apps on your computer? Is Railfrog

Do the logs reveal anything?

Do you have to do anything in your hosts file?

Unfortunately I'm not on Windows. Maybe some other hopping green fella
can jump in with appropriate suggestions.

Croak!

--progfrog

Greg

Jun 30, 2009, 4:56:10 PM6/30/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
in re windows - there is a good how to here: http://railstutor.org/projects/rails-tutor/wiki/Windows

mike_255

Jun 30, 2009, 5:03:23 PM6/30/09
to railfrog-dev
no, cant get anything to work. looking at the error messages it seems
that the problem is with the ruby i am using. it has both rails 2.0.2
and 2.3.2 in it which i am pretty sure shouldnt be the case. going to
reinstall my ruby 1.86 and hopefully sort the problem

Thomas Nichols

Jun 30, 2009, 5:05:12 PM6/30/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

I tested the current code on Windows using SQLite and it worked fine. Please could you test a couple of things?

First, could you copy and paste the output of the 'ruby script/server' command into http://pastie.org, and give us the pastie URL?

Then, please could you give us the output of the following:

C:\dev\railfrogcms>ruby --version

Then please run:

C:\dev\railfrogcms>ruby script/console

I then tried:

Type application/x-javascript already registered as a variant of application/javascript.
>> Railfrog::VERSION
=> "0.5.6"
>> SiteMapping.find_root
=> #<SiteMapping id: 1, path_segment: "", chunk_id: nil, version: nil, updated_at: "2009-06-29 15:56:35", root_id: nil,
parent_id: nil, depth: nil, lft: nil, rgt: nil, is_internal: false>

Do you get the same?

It would be a great help if anyone there could document these "troubleshooting tips"  - perhaps by logging in as wikiuser :

<https://node8.cvsdude.com/trac/railfrog/cms/wiki/EditingTheRailfrogWiki>

and then adding notes to:
https://node8.cvsdude.com/trac/railfrog/cms/wiki/TroubleshootingTips

Crawc!

-- Thomas

Thomas Nichols

Jun 30, 2009, 5:13:32 PM6/30/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
I've added this one to the README since it's so comprehensive. Nice find.

-- Thomas

mike_255

Jun 30, 2009, 5:18:08 PM6/30/09
to railfrog-dev
http://pastie.org/529979 is the url for my output from command prompt

Thomas Nichols

Jun 30, 2009, 5:34:35 PM6/30/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Ok, it looks as though vendor/rails is not set up correctly yet. It should look something like this:

http://pastie.org/530002

In that pastie is also a listing of vendor/rails -- do you have the same?

The vendor/rails directory is initialised by

`git submodule update --init`

in the railfrogcms directory. If you run that again, it should exit with no output. Does it?

Regards,
Thomas.

mike_255

Jun 30, 2009, 5:39:39 PM6/30/09
to railfrog-dev
Have a new pastie here with the output of the commands you asked for-
http://pastie.org/530009
you are right, they arent the same or at least the ruby isnt. i used
the one-click installer from rubyforge and the patch level of the ruby
is completely different to the one you have.

kind regards,
michael

On Jun 30, 10:05 pm, Thomas Nichols <nicho...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I tested the current code on Windows using SQLite and it worked fine.
> Please could you test a couple of things?
>
> First, could you copy and paste the output of the 'ruby script/server'
> command intohttp://pastie.org, and give us the pastie URL?

mike_255

Jun 30, 2009, 5:49:22 PM6/30/09
to railfrog-dev
got that sorted now, when i run git submodule i get the same output as
you do, i think it is starting to look like the problem is the version
of ruby that i am using. maybe the one-click installer isnt useful for
using railfrog

regards,
mike

On Jun 30, 10:34 pm, Thomas Nichols <nicho...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Ok, it looks as though vendor/rails is not set up correctly yet. It
> should look something like this:
>
> http://pastie.org/530002
>
> In that pastie is also a listing of vendor/rails -- do you have the same?
>
> The vendor/rails directory is initialised by
>
> `git submodule update --init`
>
> in the railfrogcms directory. If you run that again, it should exit with
> no output. Does it?
>
> Regards,
> Thomas.
>
> mike_255 wrote on 2009/06/30 22:18:
>
> >http://pastie.org/529979is the url for my output from command prompt

Thomas Nichols

Jun 30, 2009, 5:54:08 PM6/30/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
I don't _think_ that's the problem -- you're using ruby 1.8.6 and the patchlevel shouldn't matter here.

What do you have in `gem list` ?

-- Thomas

mike_255

Jun 30, 2009, 6:07:10 PM6/30/09
to railfrog-dev
gonna past a screencast of my gems in a minute..

On Jun 30, 10:54 pm, Thomas Nichols <nicho...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I don't _think_ that's the problem -- you're using ruby 1.8.6 and the
> patchlevel shouldn't matter here.
>
> What do you have in `gem list` ?
>
> -- Thomas
>
> mike_255 wrote on 2009/06/30 22:49:
>
> > got that sorted now, when i run git submodule i get the same output as
> > you do, i think it is starting to look like the problem is the version
> > of ruby that i am using. maybe the one-click installer isnt useful for
> > using railfrog
>
> > regards,
> > mike
>
> > On Jun 30, 10:34 pm, Thomas Nichols <nicho...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Ok, it looks as though vendor/rails is not set up correctly yet. It
> >> should look something like this:
>
> >>http://pastie.org/530002
>
> >> In that pastie is also a listing of vendor/rails -- do you have the same?
>
> >> The vendor/rails directory is initialised by
>
> >> `git submodule update --init`
>
> >> in the railfrogcms directory. If you run that again, it should exit with
> >> no output. Does it?
>
> >> Regards,
> >> Thomas.

mike_255

Jun 30, 2009, 6:18:46 PM6/30/09
to railfrog-dev
can't seem to paste a word screencast on pastie will have to type them
out manually which could take a while

On Jun 30, 11:07 pm, mike_255 <michael.wright...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> [...]

mike_255

Jun 30, 2009, 6:25:07 PM6/30/09
to railfrog-dev
does the gem install rake go in the ruby bin? i think i may have put
it elsewhere

On Jun 30, 11:18 pm, mike_255 <michael.wright...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> [...]

Thomas Nichols

Jun 30, 2009, 6:33:19 PM6/30/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

right-click on the title bar of the Command Prompt window, choose Edit | Mark, highlight with the mouse, press Enter to put the text on the clipboard. I'll have a look at what you've got tomorrow -- but I'm assuming you have Rails (as I have) and the required Railfrog support gems...

You could try

gem install mongrel

and then when you do "ruby script/server" it should start Mongrel instead of Webrick -- but I really don't see why this should make a difference to the fact that it's Rails 2.3 that's starting up, even though vendor/rails is set to Rails 2.0

Clutching at straws here...

is the browser running on the same machine where you are running 'ruby script/server' ?

-- Thomas

Thomas Nichols

Jun 30, 2009, 6:38:20 PM6/30/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Please try

C:\dev\railfrogcms>rake --version
rake, version 0.8.3

C:\dev\railfrogcms>gem --version
1.3.1
C:\dev\railfrogcms>dir c:\ruby\bin\rake
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is xxxx-951D

 Directory of c:\ruby\bin

29/06/2009  12:52               359 rake
               1 File(s)            359 bytes
               0 Dir(s)  134,782,746,624 bytes free

C:\dev\railfrogcms>dir c:\ruby\bin\gem
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is xxxx-951D

 Directory of c:\ruby\bin

05/06/2008  17:19               817 gem
               1 File(s)            817 bytes
               0 Dir(s)  134,782,746,624 bytes free

-- Thomas

mike_255

Jun 30, 2009, 6:56:50 PM6/30/09
to railfrog-dev
Feeling pretty tired now, will continue installing railfrog tomorrow.
your help was very much appreciated and very useful too, should
hopefully get it running b4 long.

thank you very much
mike

mike_255

Jun 30, 2009, 7:30:38 PM6/30/09
to railfrog-dev
Here is the results of the tests you asked me to put in. thanks

C:\dev\railfrogcms>rake --version
rake, version 0.8.1

C:\dev\railfrogcms>gem --version
1.3.1

C:\dev\railfrogcms>dir c:\ruby\bin\rake
Volume in drive C is Acer
Volume Serial Number is 5A00-3357

Directory of c:\ruby\bin

01/07/2009 00:07 359 rake
1 File(s) 359 bytes
0 Dir(s) 44,482,256,896 bytes free

C:\dev\railfrogcms>c:\ruby\bin\gem

RubyGems is a sophisticated package manager for Ruby. This is a
basic help message containing pointers to more information.

Usage:
gem -h/--help
gem -v/--version
gem command [arguments...] [options...]

Examples:
gem install rake
gem list --local
gem build package.gemspec
gem help install

Further help:
gem help commands list all 'gem' commands
gem help examples show some examples of usage
gem help platforms show information about platforms
gem help <COMMAND> show help on COMMAND
(e.g. 'gem help install')
Further information:
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org

C:\dev\railfrogcms>rake --version
rake, version 0.8.1

C:\dev\railfrogcms>gem --version
1.3.1

C:\dev\railfrogcms>dir c:\ruby\bin\rake
Volume in drive C is Acer
Volume Serial Number is 5A00-3357

Directory of c:\ruby\bin

01/07/2009 00:07 359 rake
1 File(s) 359 bytes
0 Dir(s) 44,482,256,896 bytes free

C:\dev\railfrogcms>dir c:\ruby\bin\gem
Volume in drive C is Acer
Volume Serial Number is 5A00-3357

Directory of c:\ruby\bin

19/11/2008 23:20 862 gem
1 File(s) 862 bytes
0 Dir(s) 44,482,256,896 bytes free

On Jun 30, 11:56 pm, mike_255 <michael.wright...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> [...]

Greg

Jul 1, 2009, 12:02:58 AM7/1/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Just FYI - ran thru the directions on my mac, and it worked perfectly.

Thomas Nichols

Jul 1, 2009, 3:22:14 AM7/1/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Greg.

Thomas Nichols

Jul 2, 2009, 2:16:47 PM7/2/09
to railfr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

Have you managed to get past this problem? If not, please post a pastie of the output from "ruby script\server".

-- Thomas