Social Isolation Linked to Higher Markers of Inflammation in Older Adults

1 view

rael-science

Nov 13, 2021, 1:45:46 AMNov 13
to rael-science@googlegroups.com (rael-science)

The Raelian Movement
for those who are not afraid of the future : http://www.rael.org

Get Rael-Science on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/raelscience

Social Isolation Linked to Higher Markers of Inflammation in Older Adults

November 1, 2021

Source: Wiley

In a study published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, older US adults who experienced social isolation had higher blood levels of interleukin-6 and C-reactive protein, two markers of inflammation that can have long-term negative consequences for the health of individuals as they age.

The study included a nationally representative sample of 4,648 Medicare beneficiaries aged 65 years and older.

The authors noted that clinical and social interventions that address social isolation among older adults may influence biological processes such as inflammation, as well as their potentially negative effects.

This shows a sad looking older man
In a study published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, older US adults who experienced social isolation had higher blood levels of interleukin-6 and C-reactive protein, two markers of inflammation that can have long-term negative consequences for the health of individuals as they age. Image is in the public domain

“Our findings demonstrate an important association between social isolation and biological processes. This work is a step in the journey to disentangle the mechanisms by which social isolation leads to higher levels of morbidity and mortality,” said lead author Thomas K.M. Cudjoe, MD, MPH, of Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.

“My hope is that investigators incorporate objective measures of social isolation and biological markers in future longitudinal studies so that we might continue to advance our understanding of these complex biopsychosocial interactions.”

About this aging and inflammation research news

Author: Katherine Falzon
Source: Wiley
Contact: Katherine Falzon – Wiley
Image: The image is in the public domain

Original Research: Open access. Getting under the skin: Social isolation and biological markers in the National Health and Aging Trends Study” by Thomas K.M. Cudjoe et al. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society