IMP: RadioVIS Specification V1.1.0 DRAFT

Ben Poor

Apr 3, 2012, 5:56:32 AM4/3/12
to radiovis-...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

I'm forging ahead with the recent discussions and posting the latest draft here on the group. Since these changes are now reaching smaller granularity, I've summarised any changes from the last specification below:

* Changed the HTTP header names used when acquiring a slide, to indicate display dimensions, to bring into line with HTTP best practices, and referring now to 'Display' rather than 'Device'
* Rationalised language - made sure that all references to a receiver of RadioVIS are given as a 'receiver', taking over from 'client' or 'device'. Added definition in Section 'Definitions and Abbreviations'
* Changed the HTTP header names used when responding from a HTTP transport request, to bring into line with HTTP best practices.
* Removed choice when server responding to a slide acquisition request, with display dimensions corresponding to a response that cannot be fulfilled. Now mandating that the server must return a 'basic' slide of 320x240 in this case, in order to simplify behaviour for clients and service providers.
* Added upper limit of number of frames and total response body content length when service provider responding to HTTP transport request (now given as 16kB and 8 frames, whichever is reached first).
* Added link to ECMAScript specification in order to give guidelines on Identifier naming, for JSONP method name.
* Provided guidance on upper limit of HTTP URL given in RadioVIS SHOW message body (512 characters) in line with best practices (and also elsewhere in the specification where URLs are used).
* Other small grammatical and structural corrections

Please look over the changes made. You should also find any discussions on the group itself, for more detail.

Apologies if I am rather speeding up the process - I am aiming to reach a final document by the end of this week and so can I ask you all to submit your feedback as soon as possible (positive too, always well received!).

If no sustained object has been received by 17:00 (GMT) on Friday 6th April, this document will be sent to the RadioDNS Steering Board as our official submission.

Please let me know if you feel any more time to consider this. I'm hoping that, by now you have all had a chance to think about any of the major changes being proposed.

Many thanks,

Ben

Ben Poor

Apr 5, 2012, 5:04:16 AM4/5/12
to radiovis-...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

The more observant (both meanings of the word) will have noticed that I gave a deadline which corresponds to a public holiday in a large number of countries.

Therefore I will be extending the deadline for feedback to 17:00 GMT Tuesday 10th April.