STOMP issue with ActiveMQ 5.6.0 (latest version)

Pete Redhead

Jul 11, 2012, 11:29:15 AM7/11/12
to radiovis-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Whilst working on another application that uses ActiveMQ I spotted an oddity that may affect some RadioVIS clients and broadcasters here.

In previous versions of ActiveMQ, a space after the colon in the destination header was ignored. ie destination:/topic/test and destination: /topic/test were treated as the same.
However, in the latest release the later is converted to a queue identified by /queue//topic/test.

Therefore anybody using libraries (or custom code) that inserts a space after the ':' will not receive or send messages as expected. I have found at least one PHP library which does this.

The augmented BNF in the STOMP 1.1 spec shows no space used, but the original specification made no mention of this. I have posted on the ActiveMQ users list to see if this change is intentional or just a bug.

Best wishes,
Pete

Robin Cooksey

Jul 12, 2012, 6:44:55 AM7/12/12
to radiovis-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Pete,

Thank you for spotting this, and highlighting this.

I notice that in the Stomp 1.0 specification (both the version at http://docs.codehaus.org/display/STOMP/Protocol, which is referenced in the RadioVIS 1.0 specification, and the version at http://stomp.github.com/stomp-specification-1.0.html) the destination header is used in two places with a space after the ‘:’, and in two places without.

Specifically, the examples for SUBSCRIBE and UNSUBSCRIBE do use a space after the ‘:’.

In the Stomp 1.1 specification (http://stomp.github.com/stomp-specification-1.1.html) the examples do not include the space.

I would guess that the inconsistency in the examples in the 1.0 version was unintentional, and this has been tidied up in the 1.1 version.

However, given that 1.1 is intended be backwards compatible with 1.0; I would have thought it should tolerate a space after the ‘:’ to interoperate with clients that implemented the 1.0 specification.

I believe that the current FS RadioVIS implementation is inserting a space – so would presumably have a problem with this version of ActiveMQ.

Best regards,

Robin