ETSI Hybrid Radio EPG proposal

Ben Poor

Jan 9, 2014, 8:23:59 AM1/9/14
to radioepg-...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

I thought I'd share with you some related work that I've been doing as part of the WorldDMB Hybrid Radio Taskforce.

I was asked to explore how the existing DAB EPG XML specification could be combined with the RadioEPG specification, in order to become what I've provisionally entitled the Hybrid Radio EPG specification. Since RadioEPG is based on the DAB EPG XML specification, bringing the two together is a natural fit.

I've attached an 'alpha' version of the document, which still contains many errors, inconsistences and amusing comments, but the functionality is there and I'm confident it sits together as a usable format. I've also produced a short summary document (again, a work in progress) to explain the changes between the existing DAB EPG XML specification and this proposed specification.

I'll be presenting the document to the Taskforce when they next meet (I believe this is next month). The eventual goal is for the Taskforce to present a document to ETSI for ratification.

This combined specification will effectively become the 'next version' of the RadioEPG specification, but with a lot of corrections applied to shortcomings that were inherited from the original DAB EPG specification, and also ratified to an international standard. The work being done as part of the Implementation Work Group will directly feed back into this process, as it will be equally as valid.

Please do have a look and let me know what you think.

Ben

ts_102818 _BTP.pdf
DifferencesbetweenDABEPGXMLandHybridRadioEPGExamples.pdf

Nick Piggott (RadioDNS)

Jan 10, 2014, 11:52:29 AM1/10/14
to radioepg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben, all,

This is (also) very important.

This is the document that will form the basis of the EPG for radio for at least the next couple of years, and we're expecting manufacturer will invest money to implement it.

*Now* is the time to find 2 hours with a cup of tea/coffee and really *read* this document in detail. (Not when you are trying to implement it, or trying to work out why a device isn't doing what you expect it to do).

This same document is going to WorldDMB for their Technical Committee to review as well, but don't assume they'll consider (or know) how to deal with hybrid radio. That's this group's responsibility.

Thanks,

Nick

--
Nick Piggott
Chair

RadioDNS Limited is a not-for-profit company owned by its members, and registered in England and Wales with number 08818015. The registered office is 96a Curtain Road, LONDON, EC2A 3AA.