IMP: Namespacing of platform-specific elements

Ben Poor

Aug 12, 2014, 5:03:32 AM8/12/14
to radioepg-...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

We are close to finishing the merging of RadioEPG and DAB EPG into a single specification, but we need to get feedback on a specific topic.

There is a difference of opinion on the use of namespacing within the final XML definition for the EPG, and we'd like to get more input from the wider group. If you're not familiar with namespacing, there's a quick guide here. http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_namespaces.asp

A proposal has been made to hold any elements which are uniquely applicable to a specific broadcast platform in a namespace for that platform. The core XML / XSD documents would cover functionality applicable to all platforms, and then specific platforms supplement the main XML with their own namespaced elements and XSD validations. It's suggested that this allows for the most manageable extensibility of the EPG to cover future platforms and potential element clashes.

In the current version, it would see the elements <ensemble> and <ensembles> moved to a DAB-specific namespace (<dab:ensemble> <dab:ensembles>), reflecting the DAB specific use of this element. These elements would optionally sit outside of the current <services> element in the XSI document, specifically providing information on DAB ensembles.

Do you have a view on this proposal? Please reply here with comments or questions that we can collate.

Thanks,

Ben