Services only available in a specific country

nicholas...@bbc.co.uk

Aug 3, 2022, 1:19:36 PM8/3/22
to RadioDNS developers
Hello,

We are in the process of rolling our new Radio SPI service, which will provide stream URLs, if you authenticate with a Client Identifier. The BBC has a couple of services that are not available outside the UK for rights reasons:
  • BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra
  • CBeebies Radio
Is it possible to describe a whole service as only being available in a specific country?

We tried putting this inside a <service> element:
<service>
  <geolocation allow="false" />
  <geolocation allow="true">
    <country>GB</country>
  </geolocation>
</service>

But it is not valid XML to have multiple geolocation elements inside a service element. So instead we repeated the same block inside each of the IP Stream bearers. It is a bit verbose, but I guess it describes the situation.

If someone was searching for a bearer that worked outside the UK, they would quickly find there wasn't one...

nick.

Andy Buckingham

Aug 5, 2022, 3:52:06 AM8/5/22
to RadioDNS Developers Group
Hi Nick,

I believe you’re right to go for the verbose option of per-bearer definitions.

Based on clause 5.12 of 102 818, if you had a single geolocation/country in the service element, that “may" indicate “the country in which the [service] is [accessible].” This definition doesn’t enforce availability based on this element’s value.

For inclusion in a bearer element, however, the spec states it shall" indicate "the country in which the bearer is allowed or disallowed”. This is definite.

Regards,

Andy.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RadioDNS developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/radiodns-developers/df2c51ab-f15c-41d2-a45d-fe809a42048cn%40googlegroups.com.