Playing Audio Stream for DAB

Furhad Jidda

Sep 12, 2016, 9:51:26 PM9/12/16
to RadioDNS developers
Hello All,
    I was hoping someone could help me with DAB audio playback link from the XSI / SI xml files . So here is what I am trying to do .

    I am trying to look up a DAB station , constructed FQDN is as 0.c635.c19a.ce1.dab.radiodns.org.
    I am able to download a XSI file and SI file (link to which is http://radio-service-information.api.bbci.co.uk/radiodns/epg/XSI.xml)

    When I look at the xml file under service I see something like
    <serviceID id="dab:ce1.ce15.c221.0" cost="20" mime="audio/mpeg"/>

    A similar approach take with FM gives me below and I am able to play streaming audio using the link.
    <serviceID bitrate="48" cost="70" id="http://vis.media-ice.musicradio.com/CapitalXTRALondon" mime="audio/aacp" offset="16000"/>
     Note : FM FQDN 10570.c372.ce1.fm.radiodns.org and XSI link being http://epg.musicradio.com/radiodns/epg/XSI.xml

    I am confused as to why do I not get something similar for DAB . Am I missing something here. How can i get a link from the XSI and SI files to play DAB audio.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks .

Ben Poor

Sep 13, 2016, 3:52:56 AM9/13/16
to radiodns-developers
Hi,

The id attribute in the <serviceID> elements you see in the XSI/SI documents are not web links per se - they are there Bearer URIs

They are designed to be able to hold specific parameters relevant to that platform (FM, DAB, IP, HD) that uniquely identify the audio service.

For IP streams, this just happens to be the streaming URL. For DAB, FM and HD this will be a set of parameters that are sent in Broadcast in a URI format. The precise formats of these are given in the RadioDNS specification.

It is up to the Broadcaster/Service Provider what information they wish to put in their metadata - Global include both IP and Broadcast, whereas the BBC choose only to include Broadcast.

If you've got the relevant hardware to be able to tune into DAB or FM on your device, you can use some or all of the parameters in the relevant Broadcast URI to tell it to tune into that service.

Ben

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RadioDNS developers" group.

Furhad Jidda

Sep 13, 2016, 10:19:35 AM9/13/16
to RadioDNS developers
Hello Ben,
    Thank you.If I understand you correctly I take something "dab:ce1.c181.c37b.0" present in the XSI / SI document , extract the tuning parameters and play it through a tuner chip right ? However I was hoping to get the URL from the XSI and SI documents similar to what i am currently getting for FM (example in my origianl post). Is there a way to get that for DAB .

Also if I understand correctly from your statement "It is up to the Broadcaster/Service Provider what information they wish to put in their metadata - Global include both IP and Broadcast, whereas the BBC choose only to include Broadcast." It seems the IP stream provided is completely at based on whether the service provider embeds that information or not and there is nothing a application can do about it if its not present . Is this correct understanding ?

Thanks.

Ben Poor

Sep 13, 2016, 11:17:11 AM9/13/16
to radiodns-...@googlegroups.com
Correct, if a Service Provider doesn't want to share IP stream information, thats a decision for them to take.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/radiodns-developers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RadioDNS developers" group.

Furhad Jidda

Sep 13, 2016, 11:58:31 AM9/13/16
to RadioDNS developers
Thank you Ben . It is now clear to me :)
radiodns-developers+unsub...@googlegroups.com