Language of Radio Stations?

Nicholas Humfrey

Nov 25, 2022, 5:19:40 AM11/25/22
to RadioDNS developers

Hello,

I am looking at adding some non-English radio stations to the Service Information file. I have been looking through ETSI TS 102 818 but I can’t work out how to specify the primary language of the content on a Service?

There is lots about specifying there language of elements within the XML - the names, descriptions and multimedia elements. Would it make sense to set xml:lang on the <service> element?

Does anyone have an example of multiple different language services in a single SI file?

Thanks!

Nicholas Humfrey

----------------------------

http://www.bbc.co.uk

---------------------

Andy Buckingham

Nov 25, 2022, 5:31:34 AM11/25/22
to RadioDNS Developers Group
Hi Nicholas,

My understanding is that this is currently dealt with at a programme level, in the <programme> elements of a PI file, rather than at a service level.

Whilst you could add xml:lang to the <service> element, it’s not defined in the specification as an expected attribute of the <service> element, so compliant devices wouldn’t need to pay attention to it.

I could potentially see the value in being able to do a “blanket” value at the service level, but I think the most common assumption is based around the language of the naming labels etc. (e.g. if only a “de” language label set is available, the service can be assumed to be in German). If xml:lang were to be added to a service it introduces an additional complexity on a receiver to look at the programme level, then up to the service level if none is found.

Regards,

Andy.

On 25 Nov 2022, at 10:19, Nicholas Humfrey <nicholas...@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

Hello,

I am looking at adding some non-English radio stations to the Service Information file. I have been looking throughETSI TS 102 818 but I can’t work out how to specify the primary language of the content on a Service?

There is lots about specifying there language of elements within the XML - the names, descriptions and multimedia elements. Would it make sense to set xml:lang on the <service> element?

Does anyone have an example of multiple different language services in a single SI file?

Thanks!

Nicholas Humfrey

----------------------------

http://www.bbc.co.uk
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RadioDNS developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/radiodns-developers/PAXPR01MB10141486E8AC1928A711ED26DC00F9%40PAXPR01MB10141.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com.

Nick Piggott (RadioDNS)

Nov 25, 2022, 5:46:39 AM11/25/22
to radiodns-...@googlegroups.com
Hello

Interesting question. Historically, the SPI specification was defined to enhance broadcast radio services, and with some care taken not to duplicate functionality available in the broadcast signalling.

In FM and DAB, it's possible to specify a language within the RDS/FIC - both statically for the service and dynamically for each programme. Because that functionality exists in the signalling layer, I suspect it was never added (either deliberately or inadvertently) to the SPI.

Which leaves a potential gap. As Andy has pointed out, you can add it per programme, but that relies on providing programme data AND the client reading it. The xml:lang attribute may be helpful, although it's designed to specify the language of the metadata, not necessarily the service itself.

Can we raise this at the next TG meeting?

Thanks

Nick Piggott
Project Director
RadioDNS

www.radiodns.org // @radiodns // +44 (0) 1600 888335 // +1 (850)-888 8335

RadioDNS Limited is a not-for-profit company owned by its members, and registered in England and Wales with number 08818015. The registered office is 113 Parson St, Bristol BS3 5QH, United Kingdom

Nicholas Humfrey

Nov 25, 2022, 7:27:40 AM11/25/22
to radiodns-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Thanks Andy and Nick!

Yes, would be good to talk about this at the next TG meeting.

nick.

Nick Piggott (RadioDNS)

Nov 28, 2022, 7:53:10 AM11/28/22
to radiodns-...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I've added this as an Agenda item to tomorrow's meeting. The agenda will get circulated to the TG in the next hour or so.