MIME type for SI.xml files?

Nicholas Humfrey

Sep 11, 2015, 10:07:29 AM9/11/15
to radiodns-...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

What should the MIME type be for SI.xml files?

application/xml
application/radio-service-information+xml

Just noticed that ETSI TS 102 818 V3.1.1 specifies application/xml+pi for PI files.

Should that be application/pi+xml instead ?
Is 'pi' a bit too generic?

Thanks,

nick.

----------------------------

http://www.bbc.co.uk

---------------------

Andy Buckingham

Sep 12, 2015, 5:44:52 PM9/12/15
to RadioDNS Developers Group
As there's no specified MIME, it would be you own personal preference.

That said, I'd be keen to see an agreement in place and fed back to
the specification authors for a future revision.

As you mention the PI version is both non-standard (the xml and app
name are the wrong way around) and also prone to clashing due to it's
slightly ambiguous 2-character identification.

Personally I favour your suggestion of
`application/radio-service-information+xml` which is both unambiguous
and follows the common standard for XML MIME types.

If this were to be adopted I'd also suggest changing the PI one,
although that becomes a breaking change for apps written against the
current spec.

On 11 September 2015 at 15:07, Nicholas Humfrey
> --
> --
> ---
> "RadioDNS developers" group.
> email to radiodns-develo...@googlegroups.com.

Nicholas Humfrey

Sep 13, 2015, 3:28:53 PM9/13/15
to radiodns-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andy.

I will bring this up with our RadioDNS representative :)

nick.

On 12/09/2015 22:44, "Andy Buckingham" <andy.bu...@radiodns.org>

Ben Poor

Sep 14, 2015, 4:26:08 AM9/14/15
to radiodns-developers

Is there slightly more succint alternative we could use? Also would be preferable to contain the name of the specification in the string, perhaps:

application/spi-pi+xml
application/spi-pi+xml

A bit repetitive but it's got SPI in there.

Andy Buckingham

Sep 15, 2015, 4:16:36 AM9/15/15
to RadioDNS Developers Group
Do you mean...

application/spi-pi+xml
application/spi-si+xml

...as in PI for the PI files, SI for the SI files?

That works. It slightly increases the chance of a clash, but it's
still lower than PI etc. alone.

I do prefer the slightly shorter version.

Ben Poor

Sep 15, 2015, 6:09:04 AM9/15/15
to radiodns-...@googlegroups.com

Yup, you're right. Typo on my last mail.

Think it's probably unique enough.

Dave Cridland

Oct 7, 2015, 9:23:45 AM10/7/15
to radiodns-...@googlegroups.com

You know that registering them with IANA eliminates the chances of a clash, right? I think it should give you a link in the registration to a specification, too.

Ben Poor

Oct 7, 2015, 9:49:06 AM10/7/15
to radiodns-...@googlegroups.com
I didn't know that! thanks for the tip. I see there is a web form that makes life a bit easier.

If everyone is happy with the proposed content types then we can make that recommendation to WorldDAB to put that in the next revision of the specification.

Be good to think about whether we're causing more issues with the changes, although I can't see any obvious problems. Will make a cross post to the RadioEPG group.

Ben