RadioDNS - Standard Licence for Metadata and Content

Nick Piggott

Dec 18, 2016, 1:58:38 PM12/18/16
to RadioDNS Announcements
Hello,

This is a cross posting from the RadioDNS Developers' Group, from this post.

We've been consulting with broadcasters and manufacturers on establishing a more definitive common understanding of how metadata and content is used in hybrid radio devices. You can review that discussion here.

Thank you to everyone who's commented, either here in the discussion groups, or directly to the project office. That feedback has been an important part of the discussions in the RadioDNS Steering Board (and you can read the minutes of meetings here).

As a result, and having taken legal opinion on the best route to pursue, the Steering Board has agreed to develop a standard licence for metadata and content.

This standard licence will be:
  • Created by RadioDNS, and available to reference on a permanent URL on our website
  • Similar in style to a Creative Commons licence
  • Initially restricted in scope to the automotive environment
  • RadioDNS will not be a party to the licence
The text of the licence will be based on v0.3 of the Guidelines (attached).

We will be encouraging broadcasters who want their metadata and content to be shown to listeners in cars to adopt the standard licence, or indicate that their own licence is compatible with the standard licence.

We'll let you know how this activity is progressing, and updates on the text. We're hoping to have the same "simple"/"legal" text approach as Creative Commons use on their licences.

Thank you to everyone who's contributed to this activity.

Nick Piggott
Project Director

RadioDNS-BasisforaStandardLicenceforBroadcasterMetadataandContent-v0.3-December2016.pdf