RadioDNS Update - September 2010

Nick Piggott

Sep 23, 2010, 11:49:07 AM9/23/10
to RadioDNS Announcements
Hello,

We send these RadioDNS updates out periodically, to keep you up to
date with progress on the project. If you don't want to get them any
more, all the unsubscribe details are at the bottom of the page. If
you know of colleagues who might enjoy getting these updates, send
them in the direction of http://groups.google.com/group/radiodns-announce

RADIODNS AT IBC

IBC is one of the world's biggest broadcast technology exhibitions,
and RadioDNS was represented as part of the EBU's "Hybrid Digital
Radio" presentation, on Stand 10.D12. The EBU have constructed an
entire digital transmission chain, and RadioDNS forms an integral part
of that.

Interest in the Hybrid Radio concept is high. At the EBU Press
Conference on Friday 10th September, which covered topics including 3D
HDTV, TV Loudness and Hybrid Radio, more than half the questions were
about Hybrid Radio. There was a steady flow of visitors to the stand,
wanting to know more about the opportunities that RadioDNS enables.

I'd like to thank the EBU for their kind invitation to present on
their stand. It's a great example of how our Members and Supporters
can support RadioDNS in practical ways.

RADIODNS ON MORE DEVICES

There doesn't seem to be any limit to the devices that people can use
for Hybrid Radio.

The EBU have implemented RadioDNS on the CHUMBY ONE, which is a small
desktop media device, which retails for around $100. Not only is a
great demo of how radio should work on a media device, it's also been
enthusiastically received by the Chumby developers, who want to make
RadioDNS an integral part of the product. Follow the discussion here
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=5433

RADIODNS IN WASHINGTON, DC.

RadioDNS will make a presentation to the NRSC (National Radio
Standards Committee) on 29th September, to update the members on our
progress.

I'm going to be in Washington on 28th and 29th September, and can meet
any US broadcasters, manufacturers or service providers who would like
to know more about RadioDNS. If you (or a colleague) are attending the
NAB show, then do get in contact (nick.p...@radiodns.org) and we'll
find a time to meet up.

Thanks to the NAB (another of our Members) for organising this
opportunity.

RADIODNS OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE

RadioDNS encourages the development of open-source solutions. I'm
pleased to tell you about more open source code that is available to
developers, and could help you get RadioDNS services for your radio
station(s) faster and more cheaply.

There are two implementations of RadioVIS servers now available:
• The EBU has released it's RadioVIS tool and server, written in Java,
supporting both STOMP and COMET. http://code.google.com/p/ebu-radiovis-server/
• Global Radio has released a simple RadioVIS publishing tool and
server, running under Node (server side Javascript).
http://code.google.com/p/node-radiovis/

EBU will be shortly releasing more code, including the Chumby One
code, and Global will be releasing code relating to the mobile
clients. More on that soon.

SENSIA TO GET RADIOVIS WITH FM

The Sensia has been an iconic device for hybrid radio, and PURE will
be releasing a firmware update by Christmas that will enable RadioVIS
when you're listening to FM Radio. This opens up the opportunities for
many more radio stations to start visualising their output.

NEW MEMBER JOINS RADIODNS

I'm really pleased to welcome Cox Media as a member of RadioDNS. Cox
are a prominent radio operator in the US, and it's great to even more
of our US colleagues join the group.

PROMOTING RADIODNS

If you would like to include RadioDNS in your presentations, then get
in contact and we will try and provide you with things like Powerpoint
Slides and images you can use. We'll try and make this a part of the
website, but in the meantime just e-mail feed...@radiodns.org

Of course, you can take full credit for introducing your audience to
the concept of Hybrid Radio.
-----

That's all for this update. If you signed up after visiting us at IBC,
then thanks for taking the time to come to the stand and find out
about RadioDNS. As people join the list every day, I'll just remind
you that RadioDNS is an open project, run by its members, and you can
find out about how to be a Member, Supporter or User at http://radiodns.org/membership

If you have anything you'd like included in the new update, just send
it to feed...@radiodns.org. And of course, you can follow us on
Twitter as @RadioDNS.

Thank you for your support and interest in RadioDNS,

Nick Piggott
Chairperson
RadioDNS