I just received my RadioBerry but so far no good

Jean-Claude Abauzit

Jun 18, 2024, 2:14:30 PM (11 days ago) Jun 18
to Radioberry
This is the CL016, not connected to the internet at the time of the test.
PIHPSDR detects a Hermes Lite V2.00 on local host which is normal but it only says Protocol 1, I though I should also see a line for Protocol 2.
When I start each receiver says "Sequence error" which I suppose comes from the fact I am using Protocol 1.
Any suggestion on what to check?
Thanks

Samuel Lourenço

Jun 18, 2024, 5:48:53 PM (11 days ago) Jun 18
to Radioberry
That problem usually happens when you install piHPSDR with the local CW option. Try reinstalling it, but this time don't install the local CW option by answering "no". You can run the script again, no problem.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço

Jean-Claude Abauzit

Jun 18, 2024, 9:42:36 PM (11 days ago) Jun 18
to Radioberry
Thanks Sam, I was just ready to post some information which I forgot to include in my original post and CW local was one of them.
In any case I post now what I forgot to post in my original post:
I buit the software before receiving the RadioBerry, I don't think it makes a difference but better mention it.
On the line stating Hermes-Lite ... there is a version number like  1.73.?? (I am far from my RadioBerry so it may be incorrect).
I built the software with CW local, on startup PIHPSDR says includes GPIO which may cause a problem. In Appendix H of the manual it says :
It has the GPIO, MIDI, SATURN options activated, and it uses the
ALSA audio module. So it does not use PulseAudio which means
you cannot send RX audio to HDMI monitors.
If I want to use CW local I would have to buid without GPIO. I also wanted to use HDMI audio so I would also have something to change.

First I will go the easy way and re-run the install script (just for PIHPSDR, wdsp does not have to be redone) and say no for CW local. At least I will know if the RadioBerry is OK.
Next I will have plenty time to explore PIHPSDR. Regarding the audio I suppose the PI audio is good enough.
I will do the reinstall tomorrow and post the results.

Samuel Lourenço

Jun 19, 2024, 3:10:52 AM (11 days ago) Jun 19
to Radioberry
Hi Jean-Claude,

The Radioberry, though compatible with the HL2 in terms of remote software, constitutes a different use case. Therefore, you should not have local CW. In fact, you mustn't, because that option will take over the I2C bus, which is required to control the Radioberry. Make sure that I2C is enabled in Raspberry Pi (you can run raspi-config to enable it).

As for the audio settings, you can use HDMI without issues. In piHPSDR, make sure that you have the correct sound devices selected in RX and TX, and "local speaker" and "local microphone" are checked. These options are unchecked by default, but they are needed.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço

Sigi Jetzlsperger

Jun 19, 2024, 5:36:46 AM (10 days ago) Jun 19
to Radioberry
there is no protocol 2 for HL2.

73 de Sigi / DH1KLM

Jean-Claude Abauzit

Jun 22, 2024, 4:38:33 PM (7 days ago) Jun 22
to Radioberry
Thank you to all for your answers.
Sam, you were right, I reinstalled without local CW and the problerm disppeared.
Now I have many questions as I could not figure out how things are connected.
Local CW:
If it is only for the HL2 the install script should not ask for it. I saw a video where it is said that using this feature can cause problems but is not very specific on the subject. If local CW is set to no where does the paddle connect?
I am fairly new to the RadioBerry so some pointers would be enough.
GPIO:
All the PI GPIOs go to the RadioBerry. Are some of these available on the 20 pin connector?
Is the compile-time option GPIO necessary, optional or useless for the RadioBerry?
I2C:
Where can I find information regarding the connection to I2C, what peripherals can be connected., ...?
I am on the preAmp list and will need some LPFs. Is there a way to have these switched automatically (may be with I2C and port extenders)?
I was thinking to get the LPF board for the HL2. Does anyone has experience using this board and the RadioBerry?
Thanks, Jean-Claude