New to the group

Roland Duvaud

May 25, 2024, 5:04:54 AMMay 25
to Radioberry
Hello Johan,

I am very interested in your Radioberry project.
I recently built a standalone SDR transceiver without an FPGA.
I really like the idea of ​​using an FPGA (Radioberry).
I just received from AlienExpress, Radio berry v5.0 ad9866 cl016 for pi4b rpi4.

I'm reading the documentation in your Hub (pa3gsb/Radioberry-2.x).
Just a question. Is the JUICE version a new card or was it compatible with the card I received?

Thank you very much and best 73
Roland
HB9NCZ

Jean-Claude Abauzit

May 25, 2024, 7:36:14 AMMay 25
to Radioberry
I don't know much about the Juice but it needs the CL025 FPGA, the CL016 won't do.

pa3gsb

May 25, 2024, 7:47:16 AMMay 25
to Radioberry
Hi Roland,

The juice board can be used for CL016 and CL25 FPGA based radioberry card.

Have fun

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Jean-Claude Abauzit

May 25, 2024, 9:21:58 AMMay 25
to Radioberry
Sorry, I have been misinformed; someone told me that the CL025 was better if I wanted to use the juice which I understood as beeing required.
So what is the advantage of using the CL025 beside future-proofing as the CL025 has more LE? My Radioberry was already shipped when I learned about CL016 and CL025, I am just waiting for it to arrive. I also asked on the group how much space was left on the CL016 but did not get any answer. I guess I will have to "compile" it in order to know.

pa3gsb

May 25, 2024, 11:06:57 AMMay 25
to Radioberry
Somewhere the road ... somewhere the introduction of the RPI-4; Steve  (the HL2 guru) came up with an excellent board/variant structure which was a briliant move to jump on also for the radioberry keeping the maintenance as low as possible: https://github.com/softerhardware/Hermes-Lite2/tree/master/gateware/variants
so from the RPI-4 onwards the radioberry uses the HL2 FPGA code including the radioberry specifics.

Around 10 years ago started the radioberry to make a 'poor man'  radio during investigation the Cyclone CL016 and CL025 where alsmost pin compatible... the price difference was around 5 euro.. which gave me the idea to get the radioberry running on both types ...

I the early days a Radioberry was created for around 60 euros.... but due to the shortage and people who liked to make some money and no one stepping up for doing radioberry batch production.

Have fun

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Jean-Claude Abauzit

May 25, 2024, 3:29:43 PMMay 25
to Radioberry
Thanks for the explantion and your work Johan.
I chose the Radioberry in order to get a self contained SDR with high performance. I did not know much about the Hermes-Lie2 but know a lot more about Hermes. Basically the SDR part of Hermes-lite2 is similar to Hermes but uses a common modem chip instead of the various high-performance chips used in Hermes (12 bit instead of 14 bit, 30MHz instead of 55MHz) . The radioberry is a stripped version of the SDR part of Hermes-Lite2, basically an FPGA and the same modem chip as Hermes-Lite2. The performance should be the same and it looks like the Radioberry supports the N2ADR filters from the Hermes-Lite2 and even the Alex board used with Hermes.
In any case I am waiting the the PI and the Radioberry; when I get everything it will take me some time to set it up and enjoy using it. Transforming it in a full blown transceiver will be for later.