Release 2020.8.28

pa3gsb

Aug 28, 2020, 7:55:57 AM8/28/20
to Radioberry
Some improvements and a new script for installing wdsp and pihpsdr

Have fun.

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Pierre Martel

Aug 28, 2020, 8:52:48 AM8/28/20
to pa3gsb, Radioberry
Great! I was going to test the script this week end. Got a PI4 with 4 gig ram.
I was about to start taking in note all the steps to do a script for the sdr software.. someone already done it..

Will report back if all is good

pa3gsb

Aug 28, 2020, 9:55:15 AM8/28/20
to Radioberry
Hi guys

All in initial state; so please report all things which are not clear or not working.....

Johan

pa3gsb

Aug 29, 2020, 11:12:00 AM8/29/20
to Radioberry
I have updated the latest release.

Now also soapy_install is added.

Did also update the soapy sdr site:
73 Johan
PA3GSB

Ujjwal John

Oct 1, 2020, 5:28:16 PM10/1/20
to Radioberry
Hi Johan,
Thanks for the explanation of all the options. I installed a fresh RAspbian image using the imaging tool and followed your instructions step by step. But after building and running Pihpsdr,  I am not getting any output from SDR and there is no noise floor in  FFT, just a static trace as in the screenshot below. I am using RPi4 with CL025 and made the Clock mod and was using your May release  Rpi image . The systemctl status is showing Radioberry running. Any guess what must have gon wrong ? the PiHpsdr is quite   laggy too .

image.png
image.png

73's
Ujjwal , VU3ECN

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 12:30 PM Johan Maas <pa3...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi John

You are running this on the released image.

I would advice you to use the latest using the rpi image tool (https://github.com/pa3gsb/Radioberry-2.x/wiki/Raspberry-PI-Setup)

This will directly bring your rpi to linux version 5.

The problem with the image is that the driver could not be unloaded due to a bug; solved after the image (https://github.com/pa3gsb/Radioberry-2.x/commit/bc9d659552b921ba3c61882f1bb0f0894837ea94).... because of the driver running in the kernel there is a sort of kernel panic which closes your vnc.

About the options [CL016/CL025/driver/firmware/systemd/reboot]

option CL016:  gets the gateware (for the cyclone cl016)  from HL2 git repo and install the rbf file into the folder /lib/firmware
option CL025:  gets the gateware (for the cyclone cl025)  from HL2 git repo and install the rbf file into the folder /lib/firmware

Depending on your hw choose CL016 or Cl025

option driver:

For the radioberry a driver is developed to talk to the radioberry from the rpi linux... also providing a device which can be used to control the radioberry hw.

option firmware:

Install the firmware using the installed driver.

option systemd:

setups the control of the radioberry as a sort of service.

option reboot:

after installation reboot the rpi and your radioberry can be used running an external SDR program.

So all the options must be followed in the sequence mentioned.

Hope this helps

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Op do 24 sep. 2020 om 22:55 schreef Ujjwal John <ujjw...@gmail.com>:
Hi Johan,
I tried to upgrade to   your latest release , over the Radioberry image Installed from your May release.
I followed the steps as mentioned in the readme.md on the release page :
https://github.com/pa3gsb/Radioberry-2.x/releases/tag/2020.8.28

and after running the script  ./radioberry_install.sh  , I selected the option "Driver" ( the explanation options themselves worth documenting) , and waited for a while . Strangely, the installation failed with the error as in the screenshot attached. (apologise for the fuzzy image as I took it from VNC) . The Pi OS session was frozen both from VNC viewer and console , and after cold booting the Pi, PiHPSDR could not find the Radioberry socket.

Any thing you feel I missed ?

73's
VU3ECN / Ujjwal John

--
Ujjwal

pa3gsb

Oct 2, 2020, 6:39:34 AM10/2/20
to Radioberry
John,

versie_p.JPG

in the window bar you see the version of the gateware; v7.1 in your case it is 25   ..... seems that your gateware is not loaded.

is at your rpi in location /lib/firmware : ls /lib/firmware |grep radioberry.rbf the gateware file present.

which FPGA are you using on the radioberry board? is the right rbf file (look to size) present.

or ... in the folder /var/log  look into kern.log  printk(KERN_ERR "gateware radioberry.rbf: Firmware not available\n");  if the gateware is not found.

Hope this helps

73 Johan
PA3GSB

pa3gsb

Oct 3, 2020, 5:47:36 AM10/3/20
to Radioberry
John

Oeps found the bug:

Use this in the /tmp folder:

sudo mv ./radioberry.rbf /lib/firmware

in the install script of the release you used  i did a wget based on the wrong url... so the gateware file was not right.

Make it clear why it was not working for you.

I will make a new release.

73 Johan
PA3GSB

John Lannigan

Jul 20, 2022, 9:53:05 AM7/20/22
to Radioberry
Hi Johan, I was pretty excited to find a transceiver with these specs, I bought the board and some of the other components and then hit a big problem with the Intel FPGA. Will both the 10CL16 and 10CL25 work and is there an equivalent? Everywhere I have looked for the FPGA is out of stock.

Kristofer Danner

Jul 21, 2022, 3:49:10 AM7/21/22
to Radioberry
John Lannigan, why have you started a Radioberry facebook group, hijacking discussion away from here, the group started by the project founder? I find this to be quite rude/disrespectful. Also why are you leading people on your group to overpriced ebay PCBs which may or may not even be the same as Johan's PCB design? You do realize this is a open source project? That anyone can download the gerbers from github, upload them to the board house of their choice and have them manufactured? For example JLCPCB will make 5 boards for only $8? You're not off to a very good start here.

KD