Thetis Beta 6 from Reid / MI0BOT cmASIO via prot. 1

Sigi Jetzlsperger

Jun 24, 2024, 5:32:53 PMJun 24
to Radioberry
Is anyone using the current Thetis Beta 6 from Reid/MI0BOT? In this version it is now possible to use cmASIO via Protocol 1.

Works without problems with Hermes Lite 2 and Red Pitaya and should also work with Radioberry.

I would be happy to hear about your experience.

Jean-Claude Abauzit

Jun 29, 2024, 4:40:40 PM (12 days ago) Jun 29
to Radioberry
I am new to the RadioBerry (10 days old) and have never used Thetis. I also have no idea what is cmASIO. Update: I just watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpJi5aqew9M so I have a better idea but the guy seems to be on speed and uses such a high resolution on his screen that it is difficult to read anything. So the cmASIO test will be for another day. I just wanted to have some fun: since I have the RadioBerry I listened to the bands only twice, the rest of my free time has been spent navigating the Wiki, the Wiki of Hermes-Lite 2 and some projects for thye RadioBerry (control panel, filter switches, ...).
The setup: a completely naked RadioBerry which at this time is a windowless room and no antenna access, so not much to listen to except noise.
PC running Win7 (don't ask)  but also running a VirtualBox Win10 where I installed Thetis for the first time which was fast but the Wisdom took some time. It took me a while to realized that I first had to turn on the radio to discover the radio. The RadioBerry was discovered as a Herles Lite as soon as I turned the Thetis radio on. It came up with only RX1 on, I turned RX2 on, switched bands, ... But the main screen is intimidating, it will take some time to figure it out and also the multitude of other screens. Now the real fun: I have a Hercules DJControl MP3 LE for which I did not manage to use on the PI, I am not sure if it will be possible from what I read. There is no official driver for Linux; the open source one is based to an official one which existed for Linux. So I decided to test if I could control thwe RadioBerry via Thetis. I downloaded  the Win10 driver and started the install, I plugged the console on Win7 which did not find a driver (this is normal). At the end of the install it is time to plug the console into WIN10 which I did by stealing the USB device from Win7 and restarted Win10, Thetis and went into the MIDI setup. I just mapped the 2 VFOs at this time and now I can control my RadioBerry with the console. I just hope to make it work directly on the PI. Thanks for the post as it enabled me to have some fum after pulling my hair in the RadioBerry Wiki.
Back to cmASIO: if you have some pointers on how to set it up I will try.
Jean-Claude

Sigi Jetzlsperger

Jun 30, 2024, 4:09:42 AM (12 days ago) Jun 30
to Radioberry
First of all, I'm glad that you got Thetis working.
The prerequisite for working with Thetis also requires a certain amount of playfulness. But at the end of the day, you'll be rewarded for it.

I also use a Hercules DJControl MP3 LE and am very happy with it.

Using cmASIO only makes sense if you have ASIO-capable hardware such as Behringer Uphoria UMC204HD etc.

You can find the cmASIO guide here. https://github.com/ramdor/Thetis/blob/master/Documentation/Radio/cmASIO%20Guide.pdf

Jean-Claude Abauzit

Jun 30, 2024, 10:34:28 AM (11 days ago) Jun 30
to Radioberry
Thanks for this information. So for me I will not be able to test cmASIO. I was planning to test the RadioBerry with all the various PC SDR program and your post make me do it for Thetis which is the successor of PowerSDR. Both these programs are full of feautures, not too difficult to use  with the basic features but to make full use of them there is a learning curve.
For the DJControl it is too bad that the driver does not work any longer with the newest Linux releases and it seems that it has been abandonned.
I hope you find someone with the RadioBerry who can test cmASIO.
Jean-Claude