compiling gateware

Paulh002

Sep 8, 2021, 3:31:54 AM9/8/21
to Radioberry
Hello,

I have some issues with recompiling the gateware. When I recompile the gateware (just download it from github) The transmit function stops to work. I don't get any output any more.
I have recompiled the gateware with Quartus  Prime Light version 20.1 and also tried version 18.1 but no difference.
Is there any thing I can do to get it work?

73,
Paul

Yado-san

Sep 8, 2021, 10:35:15 AM9/8/21
to Radioberry
Hi Paul,

When use HL2's ad9866ctrl.v, No IAMP transmit output.
Where did you get the gateware from?

The way I compiled it is shown below.  ..by Linux-PC(Ubuntu 18.04)

(1) Install Quartus Prime Lite 20.1 or later into Linux-PC (Ubuntu 18.04)
      Download   URL:  https://fpgasoftware.intel.com/20.1/?edition=lite     select Linux
      Individual Files Tab:                                              ( or  Combined Files Tab                      )
            ・Cyclone 10 LP device support                (or  ・Quartus-lite-20.1.0.711-linux.tar  )
            ・Quartus Prime (includes Nios II EDS)
      Install:
            $ ./QuartusLiteSetup-20.1.0.711-linux.run

(2) Edit .profile and add PATH.
      $ vi ~/.profile
            export QSYS_ROOTDIR="/home/yado-san/intelFPGA_lite/20.1/quartus/sopc_builder/bin"  <- this is my install directory
            PATH=$PATH:$HOME/intelFPGA_lite/20.1/quartus/bin    <--    Add this line  (pse change your directory)

(3) Download Hermes-Lite2 (Radioberry) gateware.

(4) Compile
      $ cd ~/Hermes-Lite2/gateware/variants/radioberry_cl025   <--  latest CL025 gateware Top.
      $ make
      →very easy!   Results here:   ~/Hermes-Lite2/gateware/variants/radioberry_juice_cl025/build/radioberry.rbf

I hope this  helps.
Yado-san, jg1twp

2021年9月8日水曜日 16:31:54 UTC+9 paul.hol...@gmail.com:

Paulh002

Sep 8, 2021, 11:08:43 AM9/8/21
to Yado-san, Radioberry
Hello Yado-san,

I have Quartus installed on Windows, and open the directory like you suggested.
image.png

I have made some changes to the transmit fifo because I experience an issue that the fpga does not signal the raspberry pi that the buffer is full.
I compile form the GUI and then copy the raspberry.rbf from E:\hardware\Hermes-Lite2\gateware\variants\radioberry_cl025\build\ to the raspberry pi.

but maybe the issue is that in the make file there is an option set quartus_sh --flow compile radioberry -c radioberry
And I have to set this manually. Have to find how to do this.
Thanks
Paul

Yado-san

Sep 8, 2021, 11:35:16 AM9/8/21
to Radioberry
I see, you are able to compile with the Windows GUI.

>The makefile is for command line compilation.
>The quartus_sh command can be found in ~/intelFPGA_lite/20.1/quartus/bin/.

However, if the GUI compiles without errors, it seems not a problem with gateware or the compilation environment.
The cause seems to be something else...

Yado-san,  jg1twp

2021年9月9日木曜日 0:08:43 UTC+9 paul.hol...@gmail.com:

pa3gsb

Sep 8, 2021, 12:54:13 PM9/8/21
to Radioberry
Hi Paul and Yado-san and others,

The gateware of the radioberry is a variant of the gateware defined for the HL2.

I am checking all dependencies when a basic gateware component is changed which
is used by the radioberry gateware.

is already solved in my local repo.
There are not many people using the gateware source.So i did not publish the latest mod.

if you want to use the latest and can not wait; please add the line:

  .ds_cmd_ptt(cmd_ptt),

in the radioberry_core.v file:

radio #(
  .NR(NR),
  .NT(NT),
  .CLK_FREQ(CLK_FREQ),
  .VNA(VNA)
radio_i
(
  .clk(clk_ad9866),
  .clk_2x(clk_ad9866_2x),

  .rst_channels(reset_channels_ad9866sync | reset_ad9866sync),

  .rst_all(1'b0),
  .rst_nco(1'b0),

  .ds_cmd_ptt(cmd_ptt),
  .run(run_ad9866sync),
  .qmsec_pulse(qmsec_pulse_ad9866sync),
  .ext_keydown(cw_keydown_ad9866sync),

Furthermore:

Iam working on an a change using 8 bits for rx and using spi for tx.
I was not plannning   this change but i found a verilog syntax called 'indexed part-select' and i liked
to do some experiments with this language feature; so i decided to combine the learning
and the mod for an additional performance upgrade.

Need to do some measurements and will update the wiki.

Also a test release will come available very soon!

Hope this will help.

Note for Paul ; i think i found the issue you are facing with the transmit buffer... come back to you soon.

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Paulh002

Sep 8, 2021, 5:41:50 PM9/8/21
to pa3gsb, Radioberry
Hi Johan,

Thanks, wait for the fix. Will try to see if I can get at least a good compile of the gateware.
My SDR software project is also getting forward, it would be nice to have both pluto and radioberry working.
Then you have coverage from 0.1 Mhz till 6Ghz :)

73,
Paul

Paulh002

Sep 8, 2021, 6:27:50 PM9/8/21
to pa3gsb, Radioberry
Hi All,

An update, the gateware now compiles correct, I have tx level.
I also tried to fix the buffer overflow issue by using .wrfull that seems to work, but I can still see some glitches in the waveform.
So maybe it is not the ideal solution, but for now good enough for me to test the soapyradioberry library for transmit.