software not finding radioberry

Peter Hiltz

Dec 28, 2021, 12:13:56 PM12/28/21
to Radioberry
All,

I bought a new RPi4 from Canakit, and a Radioberry from overseas.  Radioberry looks visually OK with no obvious solder issues.

The first time I tried loading the software it found two devices, but there was no active input showing.
Now it does not discover the board at all.  Repeated installs do not change the problem.

Below is the order of work.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

73,
Pete
Fresh install
update OS as part of install process

from  https://github.com/pa3gsb/Radioberry-2.x/releases
installing dev version

cd /tmp
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pa3gsb/Radioberry-2.x/master/SBC/rpi-4/releases/dev/radioberry_install.sh
sudo chmod +x radioberry_install.sh
./radioberry_install.sh

Claimed it installed successfully but with a number of unused variable warnings

installing pihpsdr
going back to root so cd /tmp will work....

choosing wdsp since prior installations showed it was needed

redoing ./radioberr_install.sh and choosing pihpsdr, no CW
(long time processing, downloading and installing)

one warning about midi events
completed successfully, with one warning
icon is on desktop.... selecting execute, normal opening processes.... no local devices found.
give
using 127.0.0.1 , no devices found.

sudo systemctl stop radioberry gives no errors
sudo radioberry errors with command not found
sudo systemctl start radioberry gives no errors

rebooting gives no change

pa3gsb

Dec 28, 2021, 1:14:07 PM12/28/21
to Radioberry
Pete,

some comments:

sudo systemctl stop radioberry gives no errors
sudo radioberry errors with command not found  ==> see the wiki; there must be an error during install

sudo systemctl start radioberry gives no errors

Hope this helps

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Peter Hiltz

Dec 28, 2021, 2:28:05 PM12/28/21
to Radioberry
Johan,

I did a clean install of the OS, then used the dev install script on the release pages.   It threw a number of warnings, but completed, claiming success.

Still the sudo radioberry command does not work.  Is the command correct?  Should it be really just  be "sudo raspberry"?

Is there a different install strategy to follow?

Where is the executable "radioberry" located, assuming sudo radioberry is correct?

Thanks,

Pete

Peter Hiltz

Dec 28, 2021, 8:33:14 PM12/28/21
to Radioberry
All,

Here's the output of my installation of the radioberry software.  There looks to be an issues at line 127 and 370 in the enclosed text file.  This was a new installation of the OS, followed by apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, installing the dev version.

The error at line 370 seems consistent with the failing command of sudo raspberry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

install_results

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan

Dec 29, 2021, 4:22:00 AM12/29/21
to Radioberry
Hi Pete,

While installing radioberry on a friends' raspberry pi, I noticed that gcc-10 which was the default on that system had errors compiling the firmware code. I installed gcc-9 on that system and then had to manually clone the Radioberry-2.x repo and went into device-driver/firmware directory and then exported gcc to gcc-9 and could compile and run on it. The script unfortunately doesn't quit when there are errors.

Let me know if you need help, I can dig out the exact commands I ran.

73
Ram VU3RDD

Ramakrishnan

Radioberry

Dec 29, 2021, 4:51:01 AM12/29/21
to Radioberry
Pete

I have upgrade the RPI iam using ; iam able to compile without a problem.

gcc --version results in 8.3.0 @ my RPI

Which version is installed at your RPI?

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Peter Hiltz

Dec 29, 2021, 9:08:29 AM12/29/21
to Radioberry
Johan,

It looks like I've gcc 10.2.1.  I need to back down the compiler.

As I'm not a linux expert, I'm happy to take any guidance on doing that.

Thanks again.  I really appreciate the support from both you and Ram.

Pete

WV3S
Monitoring 146.52 MHz & the CCARC UHF Repeater
WV...@winlink.org   put //WL2K R/ in the subject line

Paulh002

Dec 29, 2021, 9:21:52 AM12/29/21
to Radioberry
Are you using the latest and newest Raspberry pi OS? If so, Maybe to install the previous Raspberry pi OS "Buster"
The PI Image software now defaults to the new OS, but you can still select the older version

73,
Paul

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan

Dec 29, 2021, 9:40:42 AM12/29/21
to radio...@googlegroups.com
gcc-10 has problems compiling radioberry software.

Just try:

sudo apt install gcc-9
export gcc=gcc-9

as a "kludge" in the terminal and it compiles the code. (May be one way
to do that is to do insert it in the radioberry_install.sh file after
downloading the radioberry_install.sh before executing it) Somewhere
around the line 73:

<https://github.com/pa3gsb/Radioberry-2.x/blob/master/SBC/rpi-4/releases/stable/radioberry_install.sh#L73>

Ram VU3RDD

--
Ramakrishnan

pa3gsb

Dec 29, 2021, 11:41:49 AM12/29/21
to Radioberry
Pete

I like to reproduce what you have done.

I took a fresh SD card;

RPI Imager ; on W10.

Installed the 32 bits version; during install on RPI an update took place.

In a command window:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gcc --version
gcc (Raspbian 8.3.0-6+rpi1) 8.3.0
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 5.10.63-v7l+ #1496 SMP Wed Dec 1 15:58:56 GMT 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux

I like to known what you have done differently... i like to make the code compatible with the gcc 10 version; which is for is seems already the case for the driver.

Maybe also nice to known; The software is also able to run @64bit.

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Op woensdag 29 december 2021 om 02:33:14 UTC+1 schreef pmh...@gmail.com:
All,

Radioberry

Dec 29, 2021, 2:33:41 PM12/29/21
to Radioberry
Pete

Problem solved. Now you should be able to build with gcc version 10 (also with 8)

Give it a try... use the dev release.

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Op dinsdag 28 december 2021 om 18:13:56 UTC+1 schreef pmh...@gmail.com:
All,

Peter Hiltz

Dec 29, 2021, 2:35:37 PM12/29/21
to Radioberry
Johan,

I'll try that right now!  Thanks!!!

Pete

Peter Hiltz

Dec 29, 2021, 3:00:06 PM12/29/21
to Radioberry
Johan,

I still get the warning errors but sudo radioberry now works.  It says I'm missing the /dev/i2c-1 driver but that might be because I have I2C turned off.  [Thanks!!]

And it looks registered.  I'll restart radioberry with the sudo systemctl start radioberry command and try to load phhpsdr.

So, progress.  I have pihdsdr running but with problem of a solid line down the front of the waterfall, but that is a different problem.

Thanks again, and on to it.

Pete