RadioBerry CW mode output power

Peter

Apr 25, 2022, 5:03:47 AM4/25/22
to Radioberry
Hello hams
I am up to adjust the output power to max 100mW and i want that to be when the Driver slide  i at 100% I use a 1W driver amplifer that I PAD to right output power.

It woked fine with AM and FM the slide change from +1dBm  to +21dBm

But when i hit the KEY down (PIN 14) i got full power out from Radioberry in my case after the driver +26 dBm,  and the Driver slide  does not change power at all.

I use SDR-Console v3.1 so my question is this known RadioBerry issue or is it in SDR-Console ?

Anyone who has test CW key input on RadioBerry and is expericend with this ?

73
Peter

pa3gsb

Apr 28, 2022, 6:49:39 AM4/28/22
to Radioberry
Peter,

Checked the gateware; also using the external CW option the control of the gain of the ampl should work.

I have not tested; but is the problem there also with pihpsdr?

Maybe others?

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Peter

Apr 28, 2022, 12:25:15 PM4/28/22
to Radioberry
I cant find the power output setting in pihpsdr where is that , i do not use any PA

73 Peter
SM6NTR

Radioberry

Apr 28, 2022, 12:54:16 PM4/28/22
to Radioberry
Peter,

That you are not using no PA is not relevant. The tx gain is handled in the AD9866 (see datasheet)

With the drive slider you are controlling the internal amplification of the AD9866 of the tx signal.

There is in total a gain of 19.5 dB ; controllable in steps of 0.5dB ; so 39 steps are needed.

The drive slider has a value of 0-255; which is translated into 39 steps in the gateware

// Linear mapping from 0to255 to 0to39, like Hermes-Lite 1
  tx_gain_computed = ((cmd_data[31:24]+4) >> 3) + (cmd_data[31:24] >> 5);

Hope this helps.

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Ronald Nicholson

Apr 28, 2022, 3:15:58 PM4/28/22
to Radioberry
IIRC, the AD9866 only has a configurable Tx power range of 7.5 dB (4 bits, 0 .. 15).  Any Tx power control range beyond that is likely done by synthesizing a baseband IQ sine wave in software, with a controlled or reduced amplitude of that IQ data.  But Tx using pin 14 does not require or use any IQ data.  It only transmits at max power (plus/minus 0 to -7.5 dB of hardware Tx gain control).  So pin 14 key down does not allow extra low power Tx.  That can only be accomplished by keying the SDR software (e.g. key connected to the computer USB or GPIO port, not pin 14).
73, Ron, n6ywu

pa3gsb

Apr 29, 2022, 3:55:51 AM4/29/22
to Radioberry
The radioberry uses the DAC amp and the IAMP which makes a total of 19.5dB gain range.

The output uses the IQ pace from the SDR program but the gateware is replacing the sample with the internal one"

assign tx_i = vna ? 16'h4d80 : (tx_cw_key ? {1'b0, tx_cwlevel[18:4]} : y2_i);

So all modification of the IQ samples do not apply for the internal CW keying.

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Yado-san

Apr 29, 2022, 8:54:13 AM4/29/22
to Radioberry
Hi Peter,

I tried transmitting with SDR-Console v3.1. (attached picture)

In CW mode and Tune, output power could not be adjusted using the drive slider, full power output when the OP Power is Max.
Using the OP Power could be varied power, but not linearly.
...may be a specifics of SDR-Console v3.1.

73 Yado-san
jg1twp

2022年4月29日金曜日 16:55:51 UTC+9 pa3gsb:
SDR_Console_Drive.png

Yado-san

Apr 29, 2022, 9:18:45 AM4/29/22
to Radioberry
Hi,

I was noticing about the discontinuity of the actual output power, so I took a graph of power vs drive level with piHPSDR.
(No problems in actual use)

Different for piHPSDR build:2022-02 and build:2021-07.
OpenHPSDR mRX PS v3.5.0 is also similar to graph of piHPSDR build:2022-02.
No big difference between SSB/CW/Tune modes. (cw using radioberry ext-key pin14.)

* with my radioberry preamp (5W)
  https://groups.google.com/g/radioberry/c/IlDGZeUKBLc

73
Yado-san, jg1twp

2022年4月29日金曜日 21:54:13 UTC+9 Yado-san:
piHPSDR_Drive..vs.Power.png
TX_USB_Tone630Hz_Drive74_3W.png

Peter

Apr 30, 2022, 6:02:33 AM4/30/22
to Radioberry
Ok there are differnce in versions but anyway the amplitude is settable.

I wonder if there is any drive output set in pihpsdr I cant find any slider for that ?

All modes LSB/USB/AM/FM  is OK from SDR-Console 3.1  Tune works in all modes even CW and that is OK to set power

I was wonder how to send CW remote from SDR-Console but i dont think there are any key input

So i have to use,  cw using radioberry ext-key pin14 and from that i got full power out not settable
ANother problem with that or maybe threre is a setting some where is that pin14 keying need a hold time for the tx relay so it
want go in full QSK with a mechanical relay I use.

Mention also is that I use VU2DLE  contol panel and his version for radioberry

73
Peter / SM6NTR

Yado-san

May 3, 2022, 6:01:36 AM5/3/22
to Radioberry
Hi Group,

Improved  the drive settings and output power linearity of the piHPSDR in my previous post.  (Pict.1)
The cause seems to be a problem with my AD9866...

Detail:
 I checked the transmit gain and output power change by using the printf in firmware/radioberry.c
  -> fprintf(stderr, "RB-Command = %02X Command = %02X  command_data = %08X\n", rb_info.rb_command, command, command_data);

 Also, changed the transmit gain setting in gateware/rtl/radioberry/ad9866ctrl.v.
  tx_gain_computed = ((cmd_data[31:24]+4) >> 3) + (cmd_data[31:24] >> 5);  --> 40/256 = 5/32 = 1/8 + 1/32
  -> tx_gain_computed = cmd_data[31:26];

 The setting for the Tx gain is 0 to 39 with 6 bits of TxPGA[5:0] in Reister_0A.   (Pict.2)
 However, when bit4,3 or bit3,2 were set to 11, the power was reduced with my AD9866!

 So i fixed bit4 and bit3 to 0 and Tx gain controlled them with 4 bits.
  -> tx_gain_computed = { cmd_data[31], 2'b00, cmd_data[30:28] };

 ..maybe my AD9866, which I bought from Ali, is a fake IC!?

Correction:    (Pict.3)
The last posted about different output power between piHPSDR build:2022-02 and 2021-07 was a setting error.
-> "Tune use drive" in the TX menu of piHPSDR build:2021-07 was not checked.
    Therefore, drive slider: 0 to 100 was command_data: 00h to 50h.

To display piHPSDR sliders, check the Display slider in the Display in the Menu.

73
Yado-san, jg1twp

2022年4月30日土曜日 19:02:33 UTC+9 sm6...@gmail.com:
pict1_piHPSDR drive vs power 4bit.png