Helping Joel; and hopefully others

pa3gsb

Oct 25, 2023, 6:51:16 AM10/25/23
to Radioberry
Hi All,

Installation guide and some hints too look at.

Overview

To get a little overview of the radioberry setup using a RPI4

https://github.com/pa3gsb/Radioberry-2.x/wiki/Radioberry-Software-stack

The radioberry is a hat wich must be pugged directly on top of a Raspberry PI 4 Single Board Computer (SBC)

STEP-1

The video does give an overview how to get an imgage / operating systen installed on your RPI4

https://youtu.be/PVMCeysrJ_I

STEP-2

After setting up your RPI4 the radioberry driver and firmware will be installed.

https://youtu.be/o0bG66C1XUo

Use the link  https://github.com/pa3gsb/Radioberry-2.x/releases/tag/radioberry

Check:

The install script was not detecting errors.

Please follow the directives on the release page again to retrieve the latest install version.

Now the driver create and firmware create are checked.

If no erros continue as showed in the video:

cd /dev
ls

the radioberry must be present as device.

If this is not the case; we need to investigate what went wrong.

/var/log/kern.log

please look into the log file and search for hints:

in case of gateware loading errors:
If you do find something like this:
Info: prepare FPGA for loading image
Error: programming failed; conf done is low

in case of gateware loading without problems:
Info: prepare FPGA for loading image
Info: gateware upload and activation succeeded

Your radioberry contains an FPGA ; the large chip on the small radio board; this can be an Cylone CL016 or a CL025.
It can be possible that during installation you got the question Install CL016 or CL025 you have selected the wrong version.

just rerun the installation as presented in the video again.

After running still having problems to load the image; there is normally a hardware failure.

- Soldering the AD9866 ground plane is very often the problem.

Please use the forum for questioning!

STEP-3
Install pihpsdr

https://youtu.be/JR2LNfg6Vl4

STEP-4

Running pihpsdr

https://youtu.be/9c7u4LgQzZ4

Hope this helps.

Have fun

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Joel Caulkins

Oct 25, 2023, 9:47:45 AM10/25/23
to Radioberry
Thanks Johan,

This is very helpful. I will methodically go through this later today however it looks like what I've already done. Maybe I missed something.

Joel
N6ALT