Radioberry Rpi4 Performance

Peter

Feb 25, 2022, 2:11:54 AM2/25/22
to Radioberry
Hello everyone
I have been testing Radioberry now on RPi4 with 2Gb RAM  and it have woorked good but if I try to use more than 96000 sample ie 192 or 384 i get hacked sound or a interrupted sound so I supose Rpi has hard to catch up.

Do anyone have experice with this if there is better to have Rpi4 with  8 Gb or is the
speed limit the same, i have not seen any CPU clock speed change on Rpi4

73's
Peter / SM6NTR

pa3gsb

Feb 25, 2022, 2:32:29 AM2/25/22
to Radioberry
Peter

More memory will not help.

(i have still 2 juice boards available)

73 Johan

PA3GSB

Paulh002

Feb 25, 2022, 5:35:24 AM2/25/22
to Peter, Radioberry
I use radioberry on RPI4 without any problem on 384 khz.
But I use my own developed software, You can find it at https://github.com/paulh002/sdrberry

73,
Paul

Peter

Feb 25, 2022, 6:03:30 AM2/25/22
to Radioberry
I have NO problem at all to use 384 if i connect over IP to windows for example SDRConsole
The problem is only local with the built in audio interface  so maybe it is little strange because it should go faster locally than over network  ?

//Peter

Paulh002

Feb 25, 2022, 6:25:57 AM2/25/22
to Peter, Radioberry
I only use a local audio device, that is I have a USB audio adapter, because the PI does not have microphone support.
The problem I have in my software is that the decimation factor is not constant, The radioberry is not running exactly 384 Khz and
the Raspi audio card is not exactly 48 Khz. This will result in buffer over- or underruns. What I saw in the code of pihpsdr that it drops data when the decimation is not aligned.
PC software is maybe more advanced. I now measure the buffersize and adjust the decimation accordingly. For me this is good enough, but a more advanced feedback loop would be better.
You also do not want the buffer to grow too large that is causing unwanted delays.

73
Paul

Brad Jeffries

Mar 12, 2022, 10:24:07 AM3/12/22
to Radioberry
Hi Peter,
First of all thanks for such a wonderful project!   I am interested in the juice board you say you have 2 available?

73
Brad

Brad Jeffries

Mar 12, 2022, 12:24:48 PM3/12/22
to Radioberry
I meant to say Thanks Johan.  But thanks Peter too :)