Troubleshooting help

Juan J. Manfredi, Sr.

Aug 20, 2021, 7:27:04 AM8/20/21
to Radioberry
Hello,

First of all, many thanks to Johan for developing the radioberry board.

I purchased a Radioberry board from Amazon (AURSINC SDR).
I installed the radioberry and the phHPSDR software, but I don't see anything in the panadapter not the watefall.

My radioberry (callsign NA0B) shows up in
E4:5F:01:40:5E:94 NA0B FN00am 73.0 0.9 2021.06.25 CL025 2021

The output of piHPSDR (started from a teminal) ends in

reconfigure_radio: receivers=1
reconfigure_receiver: waterfall set_size_request: width:800 height:120
reconfigure_transmitter: width=800 height=240
old_protocol_run
metis_restart
metis_start_stop: 1

The output of radioberry  ends in
SDR Program IP-address 192.168.1.220
Discovery Port 53334
Received packages not for me!
Received packages not for me!
Received packages not for me!
Start Port 41449
SDR Program sends UDP Start command
SDR Program sends Stop command

I would appreciate any troubleshooting suggestions.

If you know where to buy a more genuine radioberry, please let me know.

73 de Juan, NA0B

Radioberry

Aug 22, 2021, 5:31:49 AM8/22/21
to Radioberry
Hi  Juan

Your setup seems fine.

gpio-pihpsdr.JPG

pihpsdr provide the possibility to use a pihpsdr controller using the gpio pins of the RPI (option Configure GPIO in start menu pihpsdr)

But the radioberry also using the same  the gpio pins  of the RPI

They cannot both make use of the same gpio pins.

Use the pihpsdr release from:

Do you wish to install the local CW option: yes or no?"  ANSWER with no

Than you get a version without the option in pihpsdr for using the pihpsdr controller; radioberry is than the only user of the gpio pins

Hope this helps; please let me know if this is also your problem?

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Juan J. Manfredi, Sr.

Aug 22, 2021, 3:39:06 PM8/22/21
to Radioberry
Thank you Johan for taking the time to answer my query.
I reinstalled phipsdr making sure I chose the no CW option.
The program install, starts, but it does not run.
During the installation I get the error message below.

73 de Juan, NA0B

gpio.c: In function ‘gpio_cw_sidetone_set’:

gpio.c:1094:12: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘gpiod_ctxless_set_value_ext’; did you mean ‘gtk_scale_set_value_pos’? [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]

     if((rc=gpiod_ctxless_set_value_ext(gpio_device,SIDETONE_GPIO,level,FALSE,consumer,NULL,NULL,0))<0) {

            ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            gtk_scale_set_value_pos

gpio.c:1094:40: error: gpio_device’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘i2c_device’?

     if((rc=gpiod_ctxless_set_value_ext(gpio_device,SIDETONE_GPIO,level,FALSE,consumer,NULL,NULL,0))<0) {

                                        ^~~~~~~~~~~

                                        i2c_device

gpio.c:1094:40: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in

gpio.c:1094:78: error: consumer’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘confstr’?

 c=gpiod_ctxless_set_value_ext(gpio_device,SIDETONE_GPIO,level,FALSE,consumer,NULL,NULL,0))<0) {

                                                                     ^~~~~~~~

                                                                     confstr

make: *** [Makefile:228: gpio.o] Error 1

[Desktop Entry]

Icon=/home/pi/.pihpsdr/hpsdr.png

Exec=/usr/local/bin/pihpsdr

Type=Application

Terminal=false

Path=/home/pi/.pihpsdr

pihpsdr installed

pa3gsb

Aug 23, 2021, 12:14:10 PM8/23/21
to Radioberry
Juan,

Please use the install script, i assume it is working again:

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Juan J. Manfredi, Sr.

Aug 24, 2021, 5:58:37 PM8/24/21
to Radioberry
Thanks for the new script that worked fine (it compiled without errors)

My issue seems to be of a different nature.
The panadapter and water fall are black, not every noise is shown. I tried today with SDRConsole with the same results
May be I have a hardware problem.  It would appear that the UDP packages are not going from the radioberry to the SDR program.

Thanks again,

73 de Juan, NA0B.

Rob Robinette

Aug 24, 2021, 8:24:32 PM8/24/21
to Radioberry
Juan, I assume you have the Radioberry software installed right? Without it running SDR Console will not work. I'm not sure if Radioberry has to be installed for piHDSDR to run but I believe it is.

Rob

pa3gsb

Aug 25, 2021, 9:27:49 AM8/25/21
to Radioberry
Juan

Can you provide us with some more detail?

Did you install using the release, or did you do it manually?

please in a command window:

sudo systemctl stop radioberry

sudo radioberry  (please provide us with the feedback)

other window:
sudo pihpsdr

Please provide us with some screen prints...and log information as present in the command winodow.

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Juan J. Manfredi, Sr.

Aug 31, 2021, 5:24:01 PM8/31/21
to Radioberry
Thank you for your help. I reinstalled the development version
Below is  is the output I get:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo modinfo radioberry
filename:       /lib/modules/5.10.52-v7l+/kernel/drivers/sdr/radioberry.ko
version:        0.9
license:        GPL
author:         Johan Maas - pa3...@gmail.com
srcversion:     5B8DB71716B53CAC5B9D980
alias:          of:N*T*Csdr,radioberryC*
alias:          of:N*T*Csdr,radioberry
depends:
name:           radioberry
vermagic:       5.10.52-v7l+ SMP mod_unload modversions ARMv7 p2v8
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl stop radioberry
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo radioberry &
[1] 1852
pi@raspberrypi:~ $
Radioberry V2.0

Supports 4 receivers and 1 transmitter.

Build version: 2021.06.25

Have fun Johan PA3GSB

Report requests or bugs to <pa3...@gmail.com>.
Radioberry gateware version 72-5.
No Alex, N2ADR or generic filters interface board connected to radioberry
Radioberry amplifier config failed; only a problem if amplifier is installed.
Radioberry, Starting packet rx part.
Radioberry, Starting packet control part.
Radioberry, Starting packet tx part.
Your Radioberry is registered: http://www.pa3gsb.nl/radioberry/api/read.php

***** At this time I start ConsoleSDR on another computer*************

Discovery packet received
SDR Program IP-address 192.168.1.151
Discovery Port 20000
Discovery packet received
SDR Program IP-address 192.168.1.151
Discovery Port 20000
SDR Program IP-address 192.168.1.151
Discovery Port 20000
Start Port 20000
SDR Program sends UDP Start command

******
And this is when it all stops.

73 de Juan, NA0B

Radioberry

Sep 6, 2021, 6:45:28 AM9/6/21
to Radioberry

Juan

Thanks for sharing. Sorry for the late response...

That looks great; all seems fine. If you are transmitting when the logging shows 'SDR Program sends UDP Start command '  iam curious what the firmware is logging...

By the way : You are not running the latest gateware 73.0 but you are running 72-5

73 Johan

OnYourMark

Jul 31, 2023, 7:19:00 PM7/31/23
to Radioberry
I know this is an old post but I am new to radioberry and just made the purchase and I followed these instructions to no prevail, "https://github.com/pa3gsb/Radioberry-2.x/releases"
This is what i get and my SDR Console is not finding it.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo radioberry &
[1] 1301

pi@raspberrypi:~ $
Radioberry V2.0

Supports 4 receivers and 1 transmitter.

Build version: 2022.01.24

Have fun Johan PA3GSB

Report requests or bugs to <pa3...@gmail.com>.
Failed to open /dev/radioberry: No such file or directory

Rob Robinette

Aug 1, 2023, 9:12:49 AM8/1/23
to Radioberry
I just did an update to my pi4 with the radioberry hat and now I get the same errors as OnYourMark above. The radioberry module is missing.

Rob Robinette

Aug 2, 2023, 7:10:22 AM8/2/23
to Radioberry
When I run the Radioberry install script I get a fatal error and the radioberry module is not installed.

Rob Robinette

Aug 2, 2023, 8:46:48 AM8/2/23
to Radioberry
This is part of the output from the Radioberry install script:

Radioberry gateware Cyclone 10 CL025 installed.
Installing Radioberry driver...
modprobe: FATAL: Module radioberry not found.
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/6.1.42-v8+/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [Makefile:6: radioberry.ko] Error 2
cp: cannot stat 'radioberry.ko': No such file or directory
modprobe: FATAL: Module radioberry not found in directory /lib/modules/6.1.42-v8+
chmod: cannot access '/dev/radioberry': No such file or directory
modinfo: ERROR: Module radioberry not found.

Radioberry driver installed.
Installing Radioberry firmware...

Rob Robinette

Aug 2, 2023, 11:16:55 AM8/2/23
to Radioberry
Does radioberry require raspberry pi OS Stretch? When I upgraded to raspian Bullseye it broke the radioberry script. If it does need stretch is there a way to flash Stretch? The pi flash tool can flash Bullseye and Buster but does not offer Stretch.

Rob Robinette

Aug 3, 2023, 7:30:56 AM8/3/23
to Radioberry
[SOLVED] I loaded a fresh SD card with the latest Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye 64 bit and ran the RadioBerry install script and got the "Fatal error: missing module" during install but when I did the
sudo modinfo radioberry it reported correctly. SDR Console found the "Hermes Lite" radioberry and runs as expected.

OnYourMark

Aug 9, 2023, 2:53:11 PM8/9/23
to Radioberry
I am going to try this now, cross your fingers, and thanks for posting!!