Radioberry Beta4.0x fixes clk 3.3V short issue

rab...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2021, 10:49:08 PM4/16/21
to Radioberry
Hi Johan,

Thanks much for your great work on the radioberry project.

I have slightly modified the radioberry4.0 to bring out TXDAC output on a 3pin header
for my experimentation purposes and made a PCB and named it  radioberry4.0x.

Interestingly i have adjusted the 3.3V trace during error checking  that avoids the shorting of clk & 3.3V. In 4.0x PCB there is no short between pin 53 & 3.3V, checked with multi meter. Attached pictures shows the changes.

If the modified KiCAD files would be of interest let me know how to share it with the group. Just attach here ?

Currently just finished populating my radioberry in the coming weeks i am planning to test. I have made 5 radioberry PCB's. I should be able to spare the 4 bare PCB's for those interested.

73 de rabeek vu2reb/9v1mr

IAMP bypass.jpg
rb4.0xtop.jpg
rb4.0xbottom.jpg

Radioberry

Apr 17, 2021, 7:38:52 AM4/17/21
to Radioberry

Hi Rabeek,

Hi, you did a  better job than i have done with the modification!

Nice you are using the Radioberry as a basis for your experiments. Can you tell in some more details what kind of experiments you planned?

I am not directly interested in the modification.

Have fun.

73 Johan
PA3GSB

rab...@gmail.com

May 18, 2021, 4:36:12 AM5/18/21
to Radioberry
Hi Johan,

I was tied up and couldn't reply earlier.
My plan is to experiment with the spurious issues reported at the output of IAMP and in future try to use Radio berry as a platform for experimenting with digital modulations.

I have started testing my radioberry with RPI4B 4G and the receiver is working. But AD9866 is getting very hot, is it normal ?  I have soldered the bottom pad to ground. (I have
no heat sink on 9866) pihpsdr shows very high  temperature values as attached. Is those values are okay ? Is there any upgrade required in RPI4B 4G ?

on transmit side, when i press Mox in pihpsdr it goes into transmit mode,  but no transmit signal at the output and no output even on pins 50,46 of AD9866 (only DC is available)
Can you give me some pointers on how to debug it further ?

Thanks for your help.

73 rabeek
vu2reb/9v1mr
rb4.0x ad9866 issue2.jpeg
rb4.0x ad9866 issue1.jpeg

pa3gsb

May 18, 2021, 2:23:07 PM5/18/21
to Radioberry
Hi Rabeek,

Best check is to use pin 14.

Using pin 14 of the radioberry io connector puts your radio in transmit and is producing an tx stream from the fpga.

Hope this helps,

73 Johan
PA3GSB

rab...@gmail.com

May 19, 2021, 5:00:56 AM5/19/21
to Radioberry
Hi Johan,

Thanks much for your help, as advised grounding  pin 14 generates transmit carrier on the output port.

I have tested again the AD9866 heat issue by attaching heat sink on it, it seems to slow down the temperature rise, but it eventually it climbs to 67-68+degrees.
Not sure whether this has been faced earlier ? Can you suggest some ideas as how to debug this further ?

73 rabeek
vu2reb/9v1mr

pa3gsb

May 19, 2021, 12:54:11 PM5/19/21
to Radioberry
Rabeek,

The temperature is not the radioberry temp but the  temp of the RPI.

Using a fan or passive cooling wil help.

73 Johan
PA3GSB