Navajo "Code Talkers"

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Jun 10, 2024, 12:53:05 AMJun 10
to Radio Officers Google Group
I met one of the Navajo "Code Talkers" several years ago, he was a WWII veteran and in better physical and mental shape than a man in his 50s. God bless these men.

I asked him about the Navajo Code Talkers who had been trained to pass the Commercial Radiotelephone license at the FCC so they could operate and maintain the radio communications and radio direction finding equipment installed and used at Howland Island in 1937 during Amelia Earhart's around the world air voyage. He knew of that program but he was not familiar with the men nor the operations involved. Tragically it was precisely on the New Guinea to Howland Island vector of the trip on July 2, 1937 when contact was lost with her aircraft and USCG Cutter Itasca (her Electra aircraft callsign KHAAQ was equipped with voice and Morse). Earhart, and her navigator disappeared over the Pacific Ocean without a trace. XXX transmissions were made on 500 kHz and Dollar Lines passenger ships and others were instructed to commence criss-crosa search patterns. Alas, no signs of wreckage nor radio signals from the aircraft or from their lifeboat radio were heard. My friend Bob Shrader, W6BNB who was radio officer on a Dollar Line ship at the time told me that they continued searching for a week.

73

DR

FB_IMG_1717995111526.jpg

Jerry Proc

Jun 10, 2024, 10:28:16 AMJun 10
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com

Some additional information on the Navajo Code Talkers is available at: http://jproc.ca/crypto/codetalk.html

--
OUR FACEBOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/707451009311335/

Have your R/O friends join the group by visiting https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/radio-officers and requesting membership. We'd love to have them.

Stanley Blumenthal

Jun 11, 2024, 10:35:38 AMJun 11
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
God bless the code talkers and all those in WW 11 including me.

Stan

Hans van den Toorn

Jun 11, 2024, 11:11:16 AMJun 11
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com

World War eleven??

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Jun 11, 2024, 11:37:12 AMJun 11
to Radio Officers Google Group
In USA we call the World War from 1939 to 1945, WWII.

WORLD WAR II DATES AND TIMELINE

Not WW11 but WWII.

II is Roman Numerals for 2.

II
III
IV
VI
VII
VIII
IX

That's 1 through 10 in Roman Numerals.

73

DR

Hans van den Toorn

Jun 11, 2024, 11:50:22 AMJun 11
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
Same here in Holland WWII..

The Roman numerals are very clear to me, we had to learn them in primary school.

73

Hans PA3ERE

Radio KH6O

Jun 11, 2024, 11:10:11 PMJun 11
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
Well, Stan did write 11 instead of II:

Op di 11 jun 2024 16:35 schreef Stanley Blumenthal <stanleybl...@gmail.com>:
God bless the code talkers and all those in WW 11 including me.

Stan

...but if Stan is a WWII veteran, then by all means may God bless him many times over!

73, Jeff KH6O

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Jun 11, 2024, 11:22:24 PMJun 11
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
Stan is indeed one of our WWII US Merchant Marine veterans.
He sailed after the end of SOLAS in 1999, I forget how long, but at
least until 2020.

73
DR