All Ships, All Ships: A History Of The Short & Medium-Range Coast Radio Stations In Great Britain: Bennett, Larry: 9781800311459: Amazon.com: Books

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Aug 20, 2021, 11:37:20 AM8/20/21
to Radio Officers Google Group
https://www.amazon.com/All-Ships-History-Medium-Range-Stations/dp/1800311451/

All Ships, All Ships: A History Of The Short & Medium-Range Coast Radio Stations In Great Britain Paperback – August 12, 2021

by Larry Bennett  (Author)

Available now for $22.99 in USA, it's also listed in UK Amazon at a GBP price,

I ordered mine, it's set for delivery 31 August 2021. It's quite a large book in length and size, thus the increased price over R/O Larry Bennett's book "Portishead Radio" available at $14.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1800318960/

I quite enjoyed the various coast stations around the UK, most of which had WT on MF, as well as RT on MF and VHF and radiotelex which used the 3,600 kHz band for transmitting, which in ITU region 2, the Americas, is assigned to exclusive use by radio amateurs,

I'm sure it's going to be as enjoyable as the last book,

73

DR

73

DR

w1...@cs.com

Aug 20, 2021, 1:20:19 PM8/20/21
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
DR,

Thanks for the note on this ......I'm ordering one now,

73,

BB

--
OUR FACEBOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/707451009311335/

Have your R/O friends join the group by visiting https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/radio-officers and requesting membership. We'd love to have them.

Michael Maguire

Aug 20, 2021, 1:47:45 PM8/20/21
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for that DR - it doesn't appear to be available here in the UK (yet ?)

Interested to see that the cover photo is of Cullercoats Radio, now  a private residence. I live about five miles inland from it and can remember it as a working station. In the summer, morse traffic could be heard drifting out of the open windows. The name lives on, however, as there is stlii a Navtex transmitter a few miles to the north.

Mike   M0DVO

--
OUR FACEBOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/707451009311335/

Have your R/O friends join the group by visiting https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/radio-officers and requesting membership. We'd love to have them.

Larry B

Aug 20, 2021, 3:23:29 PM8/20/21
to Radio Officers
All,

Amazon have been a little bit premature in advertising the book as I haven't yet received my own advance copies yet! Looks like they are taking pre-orders and Amazon UK have already sold out of their initial allocation. They were advertising the book at £17.99 which is more or less the anticipated price. I'm hoping to get my own copies in the next few weeks and send review copies out to UK magazines and other media sites. Eventually the book will be available through all major on-line booksellers as well as limited copies via the GKA website.

73 Larry/G4HLN

Larry B

Aug 20, 2021, 4:19:43 PM8/20/21
to Radio Officers
Just another addition - the £28.00 price being advertised on Amazon UK is the IMPORT price from the USA. Prospective purchasers in the UK should wait until further copies have been ordered, which should then see the price revert to £17.99, the official UK price. You won't get the book any quicker, it isn't planned to hit the shelves for a couple of weeks yet.

Larry +

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Aug 20, 2021, 7:05:14 PM8/20/21
to Radio Officers Google Group
What I see on the U.K. site is  £17.99.

But of course, I'm on the other side of the North Atlantic, out of range on MF, but I can still hear the melodious notes of GKR to GLD with an occasional guttural interjection from OST, PCH and the rest of the Channel Tea Party.

73

DR

R/O David Ring - N1EA

Aug 24, 2021, 3:39:05 PM8/24/21
to Radio Officers
In this morning's mail, I received a copy of "All Ships, All Ships".

I have a question that is unclear to me though.

On page 450, concerning Wick Radio/GKR, it says.

From 1st December 1972, watchkeeping arrangements for fishing vessels and small craft W/T services were changed so that watch was kept for one hour between midnight and 1:00 a.m. and for one hour at every even hour until 6:00 p.m. daily.

I see from the schedule of Wick Radio Section 6 Titleed "Wick Radio HF service, 1982) of a source which I cannot find the name) on page 454 that Wick Radio kept watch on 8 and 12 MHz from 0800 to 1800 (assuming UTC, not local time which may vary),  ALL HF W/T ceasing between 1800 and 1900 but 8 MHz opening up again at 1900 to 2000, All H/F WT closing again between 2000 and 2130 hours when services begin again on 8 MHz and open for the first time on 4 MHz at 2130 until 2200 wen all HF W/T services closed for the day.

Unlike Japan whose fishing vessels used 2039 calling and various frequencies working, I'm guessing that UK and European ships didn't continue to use 2039 kHz distress and calling.

Is this true?  Any history, Larry or others?

73
DR

Darrel

Aug 27, 2021, 9:10:58 PM8/27/21
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
I just received my copy of "All Ships, All Ships" in Arizona, via amazon.com .

I really going to enjoy reading it.  I just skimmed the "Niton Radio" chapter so far - that was the closest station to where I lived, although sadly I never had the chance to visit it.

    Looks superb!  Thanks for putting it all together, Larry.

           Cheers,
                     Darrel, aa7fv.

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Aug 28, 2021, 1:29:32 AM8/28/21
to Radio Officers Google Group
REMEMBER - if you are buying this book and want the lowest price buy ONLY from Amazon as there are others who bought from Amaaon and are reselling the book and charging a hefty postage fee.

DR