Pathway to becoming an REO

Glenn VK4DU

May 23, 2022, 1:05:55 AM5/23/22
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
Thanks – very interesting.

So what if someone wants to go to sea as an REO and they don't have a telegraph licence - i.e. a newbie?

Do they have to sit the exams? Morse at 25 WPM, auto alarm diagrams, et al?

Or is there another pathway?

73
Glenn

May 23, 2022, 3:18:56 AM5/23/22
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com

Hi Glenn,

My union has a training program for newbie REO’s (not radio officers in the traditional sense), and it doesn’t include any sort of Morse Code training.  Since all of our union’s RO jobs are on naval auxiliary vessel, the training requirements span both the commercial and military requirements.

Before I get too long winded, here are the basics:

  1. Radio training
    1. GMDSS operator
    2. GMDSS maintainer with radar endorsement
    3. General Radiotelephone operator permit
    4. STCW GMDSS
  2. Electrical/electronics training
    1. High voltage safety
    2. Programmable logic controllers
  3. Military training
    1. Level 1 anti terrorism and chemical/biological/radiological defense
    2. Security watchstander basic and advanced
    3. Damage control
    4. Helicopter fire fighting
    5. Local Area Network manager class
    6. Next Generation Wideband operator class
    7. Electronic Key management class

The people entering this program are generally newly-minted 3rd engineers from a maritime school so will also be so licensed from in that department.  They will have already had the basic safety training and advanced firefighting courses.

To go up the ladder to Electro Technical Officer (an international endorsement) they need a year of sea time and the following:

  1. Medical care provider
  2. Onboard Computer networking and security
  3. Radio electronics
  4. Integrated navigational equipment
  5. Ship propulsion and Aux machinery
  6. Instrumentation and control systems
  7. High Voltage power systems
  8. A fairly extensive Task assessment protocol

You can certainly take your FCC radiotelegraph operator’s license exams (1 additional theory and 2 code tests) to get your Radio Officer’s (national) endorsement, but without the rest of the REO requirements above, you aren’t going to be qualified to fill any of the available billets.

73

Jeremy

Sent from Mail for Windows

--

OUR FACEBOOK PAGE:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/707451009311335/

Have your R/O friends join the group by visiting https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/radio-officers and requesting membership. We'd love to have them.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!contactowner/radio-officers

--

---

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/radio-officers/SY2PR01MB2585A2DF5223FDDBF886C99DB5D49%40SY2PR01MB2585.ausprd01.prod.outlook.com.

Glenn VK4DU

May 23, 2022, 3:20:53 AM5/23/22
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com

Very interesting, thanks.

Dr Jim Kennedy

May 23, 2022, 4:41:39 PM5/23/22
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
I think today you need the GMDSS FCC license today not an R/T license.

IMG_3552.jpg