MCW

Paul D.

May 18, 2022, 7:43:15 PM5/18/22
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
On my last ship (CFAV "Quest"/CZDO) there were five H.F. xmitters
installed in mid-life refit by the Navy, all capable of 1kW each with
MCW mode which I found strange because the int'l regs stated that MCW
could only be used on 500kHz, the reason being that auto-alarms reacted
better to a MCW signal than CW.

Coming back to CZDO, I never called anyone in MCW but I could have,
especially since I could couple all 5 TXs together to produce a 5kW
signal! I'm pretty sure I would have been heard on the first call....
However I once modified the old Oceanspan tx on H.F. to use MCW on one
of my ships in the Far East and called Sydney/VIS on one of the HF bands
only to be told pretty sharply to stop using MCW immediately.....which,
of course, I did!😬 Got a quick response though...

Paul Du Mesnil

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

May 18, 2022, 11:38:17 PM5/18/22
to Radio Officers Google Group
It was sad that they reoutfitted CNAV QUEST/CZDO without 500 kHz in that rebuild, they had one of the best watchkeepers of 500 kHz around. I understand until the day you walked down the gangway for the last time, you kept a 500 kHz watch, even after 31 January 1999, and you heard CLA and VCO and 9YL who continues to stay on the air. Good for you!

73

DR

--
OUR FACEBOOK PAGE: