Memoirs of Radio Officer Bob Lion

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Jun 19, 2024, 10:26:18 PMJun 19
to Radio Officers Google Group
Memoirs of a Radio Officer Bob Lion retired from the U.S. Merchant Marine in March of 1991. His sea-going career commenced at Christmas Eve 1954 and continued for 10 years aboard Liberian flagged tankers, bulk carriers and dredgers.
Following another short 'career' as radio mechanic for Pan American Airlines he then returned to his beloved 'high'seas' as Radio Officer from february 1979 until his present retirement. He is now living in France. While many of us stayed at sea for a relatively short period Bob made it his life and diligently recorded some of the more interesting aspects of his career. It is my pleasure to include an abridged version of his 'story' on the site. https://iancoombe.tripod.com/id49.html
Bob Lion on board MV MARINE PRINCESS (WNLH) of Marine Transport Lines in the Summer of 1988 bob2.jpg.w560h365.jpg

John Moyle

Jun 25, 2024, 9:22:54 AM (12 days ago) Jun 25
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi All
I read Bob Lion's biography with great interest and look forward to Part 2.
I always dreamed of being a Radio Officer but ended up as an Electronics Engineer, Physician and Anaesthesiologist!
In retirement I researched for a PhD on the maintenance of the Victorian Submarine Telegraph Cable System.
However, I have always maintained a secret desire to have been an R/O.
I thought you may be interested in the titles of some of my library but they are NOT for sale as I re-read them regularly!
See attached
73
John

Dr John Moyle G1AWJ
MB, BS, MSc, PhD, CEng,
MInstMC, MIET, FRCA, FRHistS

Chartered Engineer
Physician & Anaesthetist (Retired)
Historian (Telegraphy & Medical Technology)

Cell     +44(0)7836 244584

Amberley
Cotswold Close
Tredington
Shipston on Stour
Warwickshire
CV36 4NR, UK

"A person has nothing to lose if he believes in God and in the end he turns out to be wrong but everything to lose if he wagers that God does not exist and it turns out in the end that He really does." - Blaise Pascal (C17th French Scientist & Mathematician)

--
OUR FACEBOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/707451009311335/

Have your R/O friends join the group by visiting https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/radio-officers and requesting membership. We'd love to have them.

Bibliography Maritime.pdf

Andre CORDIER

Jun 25, 2024, 11:44:47 AM (12 days ago) Jun 25
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com

Robert Lion unfortunately passed away at the end of 2015. I was editing a modest review ‘’QST/MM ‘’ sent by mail to some friends mainly ex RO. Normally, the review was in french, but for Robert Lion's obituary I translated into english because qst/mm had some foreign readers.

I still have all txt and many photogaphies sent by Robert Lion. If any of you is looking for a missing part of his memories, I can send it to you.

The following is extracted from QST/MM 97 dated january 2016 in the foreword

quote

On the other hand, unfortunately, I have a bad new. I’ve published in qst/mm ''Memoires d'un officier radio'' by Robert Lion who had accepted that I translate them into french from the original american/english text. Robert, (Bob for his friends) lived in an old people house in Port Vendres (South of France). I used to call him up now and again and to print the last issue of qst/mm and send it by post cos he had problems to pick them up fm his old computer, and it was my pleasure to do that for him. Port Vendres is too far away from Nantes, and I never had the opportunity to go and meet him. He used to send a qsl by mail every time he had got the qst/mm. The december issue has been delayed because of small personal problems. Therefore I tried to call Bob up to apologize and reassure him. His room phone number was unavailable therefore I called directly the office, and I was told that my friend passed away some time ago. He was 93 years old. But until he died he was always very active according to the person I talked to. I'm very sad. However, he had a fantastic life as a Radio Officer and all sparks like me can be proud of him.

Thanks to him for writing his memoirs. This is what he wrote in the foreword: '' Two years ago Mr Ray Redwood from Austin/Texas sent me his book ''QTC by Sparks''. This motivated me to write my own reminiscences. I thought it may be of interest to my many friends and shipmates as well as to the younger generation if my memoirs bear witness to this lesser known period of the history of maritime industry. Yes, Bob definitely it was of great interest for all of us. Thank, my friend from the bottom of my heart.

Unquote

André Cordier

JOE ALLEN

Jun 25, 2024, 12:50:56 PM (12 days ago) Jun 25
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com
Andre

I would be very interested in communicating with you about Bob Lion. I sailed with him in the 1980s aboard Delta Lines.

73,

Joe Allen

On Jun 25, 2024, at 10:44, 'Andre CORDIER' via Radio Officers <radio-o...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

--
OUR FACEBOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/707451009311335/

Have your R/O friends join the group by visiting https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/radio-officers and requesting membership. We'd love to have them.

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Jun 25, 2024, 1:39:36 PM (12 days ago) Jun 25
to Radio Officers Google Group
Dr. John,

Please try to find part 2.

Email me directly or post part 2 to the list yourself.

73

This isn't supposed to be a one man operation.

DR

Andre CORDIER

Jun 26, 2024, 9:57:07 AM (11 days ago) Jun 26
to radio-o...@googlegroups.com

envoyé : 25 juin 2024 à 18:33
de : 'JOE ALLEN' via Radio Officers <radio-o...@googlegroups.com>
à : radio-o...@googlegroups.com
objet : Re: [Radio Officers, &c] Memoirs of Radio Officer Bob Lion

Andre

I would be very interested in communicating with you about Bob Lion. I sailed with him in the 1980s aboard Delta Lines.

73,

Joe Allen

Ok Joe, no pb. My pleasure

73

Andre

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Jun 26, 2024, 12:44:54 PM (11 days ago) Jun 26
to Radio Officers Google Group
Parts I to VIII are on that page: https://iancoombe.tripod.com/id49.html

73
DR