Vedic Maths - Tutorial 3

1 view

Suresh

Sep 30, 2009, 1:38:40 PM9/30/09
Vedic Maths - Tutorial 3

The easy way to add and subtract fractions.

Use VERTICALLY AND CROSSWISE to write the answer straight down!

  • Multiply crosswise and add to get the top of the answer:
    2 x 5 = 10 and 1 x 3 = 3. Then 10 + 3 = 13.
    The bottom of the fraction is just 3 x 5 = 15.
    You multiply the bottom number together.

    So:
  • Subtracting is just as easy: multiply crosswise as before, but the subtract:

http://vedicmaths.110mb.com/tutorial3.html

Michael Paul Goldenberg

Sep 30, 2009, 2:09:10 PM9/30/09
to radic...@googlegroups.com

Not to be unkind, but this is just a waste of time and I wish that either it weren't being posted here and on tons of other math-related lists, for no apparent reason (it suffices to post a link to one of the many sites that profess to teach "vedic maths" and let those who are interested pursue it on their own).

Absent the voluntary cessation of this intellectual spamming of the list by Mr. Gandhi, perhaps the list owner/moderator could block this "tutorial" and/or put Mr. Gandhi on "moderated" status. I don't think his posts are in any way relevant to the goals and focuses of this list. Allowing people carte blanche to spam like this is not, on my view, a good way to keep an interest group focused on the things people joined for in the first place.

--
**************************
Michael Paul Goldenberg

**************************

Dara Sandow

Sep 30, 2009, 2:31:32 PM9/30/09
to radic...@googlegroups.com
Michael (and all),

I agree.

It looks like the list is set up so that only list members can post, but that joining is unmoderated. I'm wondering if it would help for the list owner to have to OK new subscriptions and that before a new address is subscribed, a message is sent to that address asking the person to confirm that s/he wants to subscribe to the list, as my guess is that most spammers don't read the email sent to the address they use and so would not confirm the subscription request and thus would not be subscribed / would not then be able to post to the list. I also think that the list owner should automatically unsubscribe any address that sends spam (both of the general sort and also spam of this "vedic math" sort, when the sender is clearly uninterested in having a discussion about any of this and when it's unclear whether/how these posts are related to the goals of this list).

If the list owner is reading list emails, please say, especially if you have comments about dealing with all of this spam. (Perhaps you're already working in other ways to reduce the spam that's distributed; I don't know.)

Sincerely,
Dara

At 2:09 PM -0400 9/30/09, Michael Paul Goldenberg wrote:
Not to be unkind, but this is just a waste of time and I wish that either it weren't being posted here and on tons of other math-related lists, for no apparent reason (it suffices to post a link to one of the many sites that profess to teach "vedic maths" and let those who are interested pursue it on their own).

Absent the voluntary cessation of this intellectual spamming of the list by Mr. Gandhi, perhaps the list owner/moderator could block this "tutorial" and/or put Mr. Gandhi on "moderated" status. I don't think his posts are in any way relevant to the goals and focuses of this list. Allowing people carte blanche to spam like this is not, on my view, a good way to keep an interest group focused on the things people joined for in the first place.
Quoting Suresh <scgan...@gmail.com>:
> Vedic Maths - Tutorial 3 <http://vedicmaths.110mb.com/tutorial3.html>

Jonathan Osler

Oct 1, 2009, 1:20:36 AM10/1/09
to radic...@googlegroups.com
Hello.  I have changed the account settings to require my approval of any messages before they are sent out to the group which will eliminate the spam that has been coming through the listserv.  Please make sure that the emails you send out are related to issues of social justice and math instruction.

Thanks,
Jonathan

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Dara Sandow <sand...@msu.edu> wrote:
Michael (and all),

I agree.

It looks like the list is set up so that only list members can post, but that joining is unmoderated. I'm wondering if it would help for the list owner to have to OK new subscriptions and that before a new address is subscribed, a message is sent to that address asking the person to confirm that s/he wants to subscribe to the list, as my guess is that most spammers don't read the email sent to the address they use and so would not confirm the subscription request and thus would not be subscribed / would not then be able to post to the list. I also think that the list owner should automatically unsubscribe any address that sends spam (both of the general sort and also spam of this "vedic math" sort, when the sender is clearly uninterested in having a discussion about any of this and when it's unclear whether/how these posts are related to the goals of this list).

If the list owner is reading list emails, please say, especially if you have comments about dealing with all of this spam. (Perhaps you're already working in other ways to reduce the spam that's distributed; I don't know.)

Sincerely,
Dara

At 2:09 PM -0400 9/30/09, Michael Paul Goldenberg wrote:
Not to be unkind, but this is just a waste of time and I wish that either it weren't being posted here and on tons of other math-related lists, for no apparent reason (it suffices to post a link to one of the many sites that profess to teach "vedic maths" and let those who are interested pursue it on their own).

Absent the voluntary cessation of this intellectual spamming of the list by Mr. Gandhi, perhaps the list owner/moderator could block this "tutorial" and/or put Mr. Gandhi on "moderated" status. I don't think his posts are in any way relevant to the goals and focuses of this list. Allowing people carte blanche to spam like this is not, on my view, a good way to keep an interest group focused on the things people joined for in the first place.
Quoting Suresh <scgan...@gmail.com>:
> Vedic Maths - Tutorial 3 <http://vedicmaths.110mb.com/tutorial3.html>

**************************
Michael Paul Goldenberg
6655 Jackson Rd Lot #136
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
734 644-0975 (c)
734 786-8425 (h)
mike...@umich.edu
Unashamedly an Ethical Humanist and Unapologetically a Liberal Ironist

--
c. 917.288.7364