Errors in installing Radiant 1.1.4

Mohit Sindhwani

Oct 6, 2019, 3:15:24 AM10/6/19
to Radiant CMS
Hi! So, I'm trying to set up Radiant 1.1.4 again just to have a baseline against which to work/ look at things.

I'm on Windows, using:
* Ruby 1.9.3p551 (2014-11-13 revision 0) [i386-mingw32]
I have these installed:
RubyGems:       1.8.29
Bundler:        1.13.6

1. I got this:
ERROR:  Error installing radiant:
        rack-cache requires Ruby version >= 2.0.0.
which I fixed by doing: gem install rack-cache -v 1.2 (which is the last version that supports 1.9.3)

2. That got things moving - the radiant gem installed and I was able to do: radiant new_site. This worked.

3. Doing bundle update failed, though
Fetching source index from https://rubygems.org/
Retrying fetcher due to error (2/4): Bundler::HTTPError Could not fetch specs from https://rubygems.org/
..

So, I'm stuck there and not sure what I should do next. Any advice?

Best Regards,
Mohit.

Benny Degezelle

Oct 6, 2019, 11:06:05 AM10/6/19
to Radiant CMS
My first guess was rubygems.org downtime, but it seems fine.

I've set up a 1.9.3-p551 with rubygems 1.8.29 on my machine (Ubuntu 18.04), bundle update does not give me that error.

My next guess would be that there's an issue with your SSL...
Have you tried changing https://rubygems.org to http://rubygems.org in the Gemfile?

Mohit Sindhwani

Oct 7, 2019, 9:11:54 AM10/7/19
to radia...@googlegroups.com, Benny Degezelle
Thanks for replying, Benny!

On 2019-10-6 11:06 PM, Benny Degezelle wrote:
> I've set up a 1.9.3-p551 with rubygems 1.8.29 on my machine (Ubuntu
> 18.04), bundle update does not give me that error.
>
> My next guess would be that there's an issue with your SSL...
> Have you tried changing https://rubygems.org to http://rubygems.org in
> the Gemfile?

That was it! That did work for me (switching to http).

However, I find that it fails a lot asking for newer Ruby :-(

So far, I have done special installs for rack-cache, rake, i18n, and now
it complains of zeitwerk that never seems to have worked with an older
Ruby. It seems to be pulled in by paper-clip and I still have to find a
version of paper-clip that works.

I do have an old site for which I have the Gemfile.lock, and maybe, I
should go through that, installing each gem one by one as per the
versions there (that was with Radiant 0.7.0) but at least it used to work.

Best Regards,
Mohit.
2019-10-7 | 9:11 PM.

Benny Degezelle

Oct 8, 2019, 8:55:49 AM10/8/19
to Radiant CMS
Great!

Paperclip 2.7.5 should work. Here's some version pinning I have done for a Radiant 1.1.4 on Ruby 1.9.3:

gem "rack-cache", "1.2.0"
gem "rake", "10.4.2"
gem "rdoc", "4.2.0"
gem "radiant", "~> 1.1.4"
gem "compass-rails", "~> 1.0.3"

I don't remember why, but I had 'vendorized' clipped extension, and therefore also pinned these:

gem "acts_as_list", "0.1.4"
gem "paperclip",    "~> 2.7.0"
gem "uuidtools",    "~> 2.1.2"
gem "cocaine",      "~> 0.3.2"

Mohit Sindhwani

Oct 9, 2019, 1:47:38 AM10/9/19
to radia...@googlegroups.com, Benny Degezelle
Thanks, Benny! I will look at the list you posted below. In the
meanwhile, I followed with an older Gemfile.lock and was able to get
everything running... a number of problems, but I worked through it and
now have a list of 1 setup that works.

On 2019-10-8 8:55 PM, Benny Degezelle wrote:
> Great!
>
> Paperclip 2.7.5 should work. Here's some version pinning I have done
> for a Radiant 1.1.4 on Ruby 1.9.3:
>
> gem "rack-cache", "1.2.0"
> gem "rake", "10.4.2"
> gem "rdoc", "4.2.0"
> gem "radiant", "~> 1.1.4"
> gem "compass-rails", "~> 1.0.3"

The next thing is to see if I can use the versions you posted (unless
that or newer is already being used) and then, maybe, we have a
reference for what works on 1.9.3 and how.

Presumably, this aligns with the aim of having Radiant 1.1.5 that "still
works" and is tagged to the correct versions, albeit Ruby 1.9.3 - if I
can help with that, I will.

I already have radiant/radiant forked, but I guess the next things to
check are:
* how to run tests to make sure that the current setup passes the tests
* add the relevant portions from here into the instance templates for
the Gemfile so that the system behaves correctly when someone does a
radiant new_site
* create a pull request
* beg (just kidding)

That's still a few steps more than I have done before for Radiant, but
let's try to see what's possible :-)

Best Regards,
Mohit.

Mohit Sindhwani

Oct 13, 2019, 9:10:01 AM10/13/19
On 2019-10-9 1:47 PM, Mohit Sindhwani wrote:
> The next thing is to see if I can use the versions you posted (unless
> that or newer is already being used) and then, maybe, we have a
> reference for what works on 1.9.3 and how.
>
> Presumably, this aligns with the aim of having Radiant 1.1.5 that
> "still works" and is tagged to the correct versions, albeit Ruby 1.9.3
> - if I can help with that, I will.

Hi Everyone! I have made some changes to the instance_gemfile of the
generator in the gem for this, and sent 2 pull requests to radiant/radiant.
Added ruby version:
ruby '1.9.3'

Added specific gem versions:
gem 'rake', '12.2.1'
gem "rdoc", "~> 4.3.0"
gem "mime-types", "~> 2.99.3"
gem "rack-cache", "~>1.2.0"

This allows a new instance created by radiant to successfully execute
bundle install on ruby 1.9.3 installation.

Best Regards,
Mohit.