diacritic characters in title cause invalid links to pages

Emmett Culley

Jul 28, 2015, 10:36:18 AM7/28/15
to Radiant CMS
I have a client that has a link on his portfolio page that contains an en-yay ('ñ'), which causes the link to that page to have that same character in the URL.  This, of course, will not work

How can we use diacritical caracters in page titles without the Radiant CMS UI automatically using the title with the invalid URL character in the link?

Emmett

Jim Gay

Aug 25, 2015, 1:50:18 PM8/25/15
to radia...@googlegroups.com
Emmet,

Sorry I'm just seeing this now.
For one-off cases you can change the slug on those pages. But if this
is common, I'm not sure. We'd probably need to update the javascript
which handles creating the slug from the title

- Jim

--
Check out my books:
You can't afford complicated code #=> http://www.clean-ruby.com

Benny Degezelle

Aug 26, 2015, 8:59:59 AM8/26/15
to Radiant CMS
As far as I know, radiant already handles this. There is a function toSlug in javascripts/admin/utility.js that filters out any invalid character.
After that, there is also an ActiveRecord validation that should not allow diacritics in a page slug.

So.. not sure how you/your client managed to save the slug like that, but that is normally impossible.

Emmett Culley

Aug 28, 2015, 1:07:25 PM8/28/15
to Radiant CMS
All that happened is that we changed the name of the link on the home page from canada to cañada, and now we cannot change it back, or at least changing it back to canada still has the link try to access the URL wiht the diacritic character still there..  I do not have access to the server and so have no idea what version of radiantCMS in installed, if that'd make a difference.

Emmett

Benny Degezelle

Aug 28, 2015, 6:24:46 PM8/28/15
to Radiant CMS
Sorry but this sounds more and more like a pebkac :)
So... how is the link rendered? Do you use radius for that, or is it just HTML?
My guess; you're using some WYSIWYG editor, and you're only editing the link text, not the link itself.

If that is not it, could you provide an url and/or screenshots to help us help you?