output impedance

Ignacio Omeñaca

May 11, 2023, 6:01:38 PM5/11/23
to rad...@googlegroups.com

Hi guys, any suggestion  how to measure the output complex impedance of an RF amplifier?

Using a NANO VNA?

Measuring voltage, current and  phase with an oscilloscope and calculate the impedance?

Basically I would like to figure out the  output impedance of a  Chinese amplifier (HF and VHF) to calculate matching network and filters

Thanks

73

Nacho

M0IXG

EA2AIV

John Gumb

May 12, 2023, 8:31:37 AM5/12/23
to Ignacio Omeñaca, rad...@googlegroups.com
Nacho,

The “right” way to do this appears to be with a “load pull set”

as no doubt you’ve found. Read that lot for too long and you brain dribbles out of your ears :-;

I’m wondering if it can be done using an ATU and dummy load & power meter. Maximum power transfer will occur when the source and load impedances are matched. Get a match with the amp driving into the ATU and dummy load & power meter then read it back using the analyser. You’d have to be careful about spurious responses/oscillation in the amp. I guess you’d have to try a selection of frequencies. Also it takes no account of what’s going on at the input. Also, I guess there will be many possible matches.

This is a problem I’ve been curious about.

Hopefully one of the grown-ups will respond :-) Someone must have done it.

73 & great to hear from you.

John
G4RDC

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Reading and District Amateur Radio Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/radarc/06e701d98454%24268a7df0%24739f79d0%24%40gmail.com.

Gary Searle

May 12, 2023, 10:23:40 AM5/12/23
to John Gumb, Ignacio Omeñaca, rad...@googlegroups.com
Back to front measurements. Interesting John.
DE G4ELD

Ignacio Omeñaca

May 12, 2023, 4:02:00 PM5/12/23
to John Gumb, rad...@googlegroups.com

Thanks John, very interested readings for this weekend…

I am tempted to put the amplifier on TX grounding the input and use a NANOVNA to measure the output impedance and  hoping not to see smoke

73

Nacho

M0IXG

EA2AIV