Phone apps for hiking

Chris Clark

Jan 30, 2021, 8:00:29 AM1/30/21
to radar-h...@googlegroups.com
hiking-apps.jpg
With thanks to William Wells for the suggestion, I'd like to share info on free phone apps that do two things:
  1. Provide a list of hiking trails
    • Follow a trail map, using the phone's built-in GPS
    • Submit comments, photos, status reports, or ratings of trails
  2. Let you record the route or "track" of a hike
    • See where you went and how far
    • Share a hike with friends or on social media
    • Submit a new trail to the app's database
Here are three well-known apps with great reviews: (both iPhone and Android)
  • Hiking Project - lists all of our local trails, 230k miles of trails, sponsored by REI, completely free
  • AllTrails - several local trails, not specifically for hiking, 100k trails, works with Apple Watch, free but "Pro" is $30/yr.
  • Gaia GPS - a few local trails, lots of base map options, free but "Member" is $20/yr. and "Premium" is $40

If you're worried about paying for data let me give you a reference point. Google Maps uses 1 MB of data in 27 minutes (1 GB in 450 hours). With a paid version of AllTrails or Gaia GPS you can download maps ahead of time, turn off your data, and use the GPS for free.

Of the three apps, I prefer Hiking Project. Our club is listed there! it's specific to hiking and it's not a business. I have a good data plan, so I download maps in the field. I use Verizon and generally get decent reception. I wish all the apps listed our trails. If you use AllTrails or Gaia GPS, please add local trails to the database!

Here are a few more free apps for hikers:
A final note: if you explore "hiking" online, a lot of what you find will assume you are also climbing, backpacking, camping, or in the wilderness.

Best,
-- Chris