Mount Baldhead hike on June 9 at 1:30

Chris Clark

Jun 1, 2021, 9:00:46 AM6/1/21
to radar-h...@googlegroups.com

email-banner.gif

Group hike at Mount Baldhead, Wednesday, June 9, 2021 @ 1:30 am

Meet at the parking lot, 735 Park Street

All hikers will need to sign in and accept a liability waiver. You can review the waiver in advance.

This will be a short but very difficult hike. We'll go up and down Mount baldhead twice, from different directions.

  • Length  - 1.5 miles (about 75 minutes)

  • Grade - 7% average (steep)

  • Surface - dirt and lots of sand, with a short paved section at the end

  • Challenges - lots of roots, several very steep sections, and a few logs to cross

  • Trekking poles are recommended. Long pants will help keep deer ticks off.

We’ll climb 300 stairs and then go down the other side of the dune through the deep sand. At the bottom, we’ll take a trail to the right to the
North Woods Trail. There's one very steep step at the beginning where we’ll need to help each other. We’ll go back to the top of Mount Baldhead and cross to the South Ridge Trail. Where that trail ends, we’ll head east on the John A Woolam Dune Trail to a spot where two trail markers are relatively close together. Between them, we’ll take the Yellow (Forward Movement) Trail to the left. We’ll follow the yellow markers to Van Dalson Street, then walk a few yards on Park Street back to the parking lot.