Registered on irc.libera.chat

Tony Garnock-Jones

May 22, 2021, 9:13:52 AM5/22/21
to Racket Users
Hi all,

I just registered the Racket project on irc.libera.chat with ownership of #racket and #racket-*.

Would those who have served as chanops on freenode who are willing to also do the same for libera.chat please email me privately to let me know your nick etc.?

Thanks!

Tony

Dominik Pantůček

May 24, 2021, 2:14:11 AM5/24/21
to racket...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am always advocating for being cautious - rather than rushing into
quick decisions (which may prove wrong later on). However, given known
facts, the situation with Freenode won't probably change for any better
in the foreseeable future.

I'd like to hear more opinions though before I (or anyone else) change
the topic on Freenode to include information about "official" (whatever
that means) channel being moved to libera.chat.

I am personally in favor of that.

Cheers,
Dominik
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/a3b34f89-10c9-4f14-915f-9622ca690e41n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/a3b34f89-10c9-4f14-915f-9622ca690e41n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Hendrik Boom

May 24, 2021, 8:07:25 AM5/24/21
to racket...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 08:14:07AM +0200, Dominik Pantůček wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am always advocating for being cautious - rather than rushing into
> quick decisions (which may prove wrong later on). However, given known
> facts, the situation with Freenode won't probably change for any better
> in the foreseeable future.
>
> I'd like to hear more opinions though before I (or anyone else) change
> the topic on Freenode to include information about "official" (whatever
> that means) channel being moved to libera.chat.

Experience in other channels indicates that saying you are moving to
libera.chat will get the quick response of having your administrator
privileges revoked and having that message deleted.

> I am personally in favor of that.

Yes... but you'll have to do that on other channels we are still in
control of -- such as websites and mailing lists to that everyone
interested has a chance of getting the message.

Things seem to be getting worse on freenode.

If there are any achival messages on freenode (probably not, if I
understand how IRC works), it would be good to do an off-freenode backup
before announcing the switch.

And keep logging freenode channel activity until everyone has moved.

-- hendrik

> Cheers,
> Dominik
>
> On 22. 05. 21 15:13, Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just registered the Racket project on irc.libera.chat with ownership
> > of #racket and #racket-*.
> >
> > Would those who have served as chanops on freenode who are willing to
> > also do the same for libera.chat please email me privately to let me
> > know your nick etc.?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Tony
> >
> > --
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/a3b34f89-10c9-4f14-915f-9622ca690e41n%40googlegroups.com
> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/a3b34f89-10c9-4f14-915f-9622ca690e41n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Bremner

May 24, 2021, 10:47:11 AM5/24/21
to racket...@googlegroups.com
Hendrik Boom <hen...@topoi.pooq.com> writes:

> Experience in other channels indicates that saying you are moving to
> libera.chat will get the quick response of having your administrator
> privileges revoked and having that message deleted.

For what it is worth, that has not been my experience. I have moved
several channels to libera.chat (either just by setting /topic, or
taking more extreme measures that effectively lock the freenode
channel), and nobody has cared/responded so far. Of course there is now
a policy such channels can officially be taken over on freenode, but in
the long term I don't expect to control what happens on freenode in my
absence.

Yury Bulka

May 26, 2021, 2:07:02 AM5/26/21
to David Bremner, racket...@googlegroups.com

David Bremner

May 26, 2021, 9:21:53 AM5/26/21
to Yury Bulka, racket...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I spoke too soon apparently. #notmuch was also hijacked last
night. I have deleted my freenode account.