Is this a good uninstall then install Racket plan...

Don Green

Apr 13, 2021, 8:16:27 PM4/13/21
to Racket Users
I have several versions of racket installed on Ubuntu linux at default linux locations.
I think I should uninstall them all.
Then after downloading a PPA from the racket web site
install the version I want to a single directory. (I would be downloading version: 7.8)
Does this sound like a plan sound okay?

I gather from the comments I have received from John Clements, that he suspects I am having some sort of problem that is motivating the desire to return to an earlier version
of Racket.

I believe the problem is where I have placed my racket code files.
I've been putting off moving them and would like to continue putting off moving them.

I inadvertently upgraded to Racket v8.0 a couple of days ago.

Welcome to Racket v8.0 [cs].
> (current-library-collection-paths)
'(#<path:/home/don/.plt-scheme/4.2.1/collects>
  #<path:/home/don/.racket/8.0/collects>
  #<path:/usr/share/racket/collects/>)

My code files all begin here: /home/don/.plt-scheme/4.2.1/collects/...

Racket error message when I run:
$ my-prog
read-compiled-linklet: version mismatch  expected: "8.0"  found: "7.8"  in: /home/don/.plt-scheme/4.2.1/collects/DG/all/a/b/fn/filename-from-path-and-filename/compiled/filename-from-path-and-filename_ss.zo

So, since my compiled file was compiled under Racket version 7.8, there is a mismatch since the Racket now installed is Racket v. 8.0.  Thus the reason I'd like to return to running Racket v. 7.8.
Thanks for your advice.
Don

John Clements

Apr 13, 2021, 8:21:28 PM4/13/21
to Don Green, Racket Users
Thanks for clarifying!

It sounds to me like the solution might be much much simpler than re-installing an earlier version of racket. Here’s what I recommend.

1) Delete all of the “compiled” subdirectories in your development path.
2) run “raco setup”.

It seems likely to me that this will solve the problem you’re seeing, and is very unlikely to break anything that’s not currently broken.

There are other more complicated or refined versions of this, but at the end of the day, this error is probably solved by just moving the offending file out of the way.

John

Philip McGrath

Apr 13, 2021, 9:58:28 PM4/13/21
to John Clements, Don Green, Racket Users
On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 8:21 PM 'John Clements' via Racket Users <racket...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
It sounds to me like the solution might be much much simpler than re-installing an earlier version of racket. Here’s what I recommend.

1) Delete all of the “compiled” subdirectories in your development path.
2) run “raco setup”.

I think you should be able to automate finding and updating the "compiled" subdirectories by running:

raco setup --clean && raco setup

-Philip

John Clements

Apr 13, 2021, 10:31:14 PM4/13/21
to Philip McGrath, Don Green, Racket Users
What if he has directories that aren’t part of an installed package? That was my concern, and why I suggested manually deleting compiled subdirs.

John

Philip McGrath

Apr 13, 2021, 10:42:18 PM4/13/21
On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 10:31 PM John Clements <clem...@brinckerhoff.org> wrote:
What if he has directories that aren’t part of an installed package? That was my concern, and why I suggested manually deleting compiled subdirs.

That's right, but given:

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 8:16 PM Don Green <infodeve...@gmail.com> wrote:
Welcome to Racket v8.0 [cs].
> (current-library-collection-paths)
'(#<path:/home/don/.plt-scheme/4.2.1/collects>
  #<path:/home/don/.racket/8.0/collects>
  #<path:/usr/share/racket/collects/>)

My code files all begin here: /home/don/.plt-scheme/4.2.1/collects/...

It looks like the code files are all linked as collections directly (i.e. not via the package system). I think `raco setup --clean && raco setup` should take care of anything under those directory trees (recursively).

-Philip

Don Green

Apr 14, 2021, 8:53:16 AM4/14/21
to Racket Users
All I really need to do is click [Check Syntax] button in DrRacket and all the modules/files in the program recompile.  So there really is no problem.
Took me a while to realize this.
I would still like confirmation that it should be okay for me to clean up by removing all versions of Racket that are no longer current (by: raco pkg remove ...)
And I would still like to know that if I don't remove previously installed versions of Racket, that I can switch between them. How does one make a previously installed version - current.  (I might choose to keep them installed if it is possible to ocassionally make use of them. If it is not possible to make any of them current, then there is no point in keeping them on my system.)
Thanks.  Don.