Some DrRacket preferences unreadable

AvW

Dec 29, 2022, 7:54:16 AM12/29/22
to Racket Users
Hi,

after having installed Racket 8.7 (Windows 64 bit) I cannot read 3 tabs of the preferences window; the other tabs appear to be OK.

See attachments.

Some relevant data:
- Windows 11 Pro 22H2 build 22621.963
- Racket installation: racket-8.7-x86_64-win32-cs.exe

Any ideas?

TIA,
   Arie

racket-preferences-general.png
racket-preferences-warnings.png
racket-preferences-background-expansion.png

Jens Axel Søgaard

Dec 29, 2022, 8:48:20 AM12/29/22
to AvW, Racket Users
This looks odd indeed.

Does it help to:
  1. Change the font DrRacket uses
  2. Restart DrRacket

Beyond the Racket Users Google Group, Racket Discussions take place on Discourse ( https://racket.discourse.group/ ) and Discord ( https://discord.gg/6Zq8sH5 ). Discussion (but less active) also takes place on the Racket Slack https://racket.slack.com/ ( sign up at https://racket-slack.herokuapp.com/ ), and IRC #racket https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.libera.chat/#racket
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/racket-users/4ba70e7b-e7ac-4720-898a-d9548dbc8426n%40googlegroups.com.

Jens Axel Søgaard

Robby Findler

Dec 29, 2022, 9:26:02 AM12/29/22
to Jens Axel Søgaard, AvW, Racket Users
For those shown portions of the UI, I believe DrRacket is trying to use the system font. It looks like that font is reporting size information in a way that confuses something, somehow (I am not sure how).

Has the system font been changed? Can you reset it back to a default to see if that improves the situation?

Robby

AvW

Dec 30, 2022, 6:45:30 AM12/30/22
to Racket Users
Indeed I did change the system font a while ago.
The reason for that was that I very much like to have a non-proportional font (especially in the explorer).

And yes, reverting it to the default font is the solution!

But maybe is would be possible to change this behaviour of DrRacket.
Since in most tabs of the Preferences Window it does work out-of-the-box, I cannot understand why in those cases it works differently ...

Anyway, many thanks.
Now I must cope with that ugly proportional font :-)

Robby Findler

Dec 30, 2022, 9:35:35 AM12/30/22
to AvW, Racket Users
I am sorry to hear that. But it may be something specific to that particular font. My favorite fixed width font is Inconsolata but there are a lot of good options out there. Might be worth trying some others?

Robby