onboarding & mentoring

Stephen De Gabrielle

Jun 17, 2020, 9:18:59 AM6/17/20
to Racket Users
Hi,

It was very nice to see Prof Diomidis Spinellis talk about how his students had good experiences working on open source projects for their coursework.

It made me wonder how the Racket community is performing, and if there are any gaps we* can fill?
  • Onboarding?
  • Mentoring?
  • Pull request Workflows?
  • Code check bots?
  • Use of [WIP] tag to allow incremental review of work in progress?
  • Anything else?
* by 'we' I mean the community of racketeers, not the core team who already do so much.

Kind regards,

Stephen

Today the students of my "Software Engineering in Practice" course presented their contributions to open source software projects — a compulsory part of their assessed coursework. I learned a lot from their experiences. (Thread 1/4)
10:51 PM · Jun 16, 2020Twitter Web App
Replying to
Open source projects are becoming more inclusive. Many have streamlined on-boarding and mentoring, teams are more diverse (including female leads), responses are typically polite, and Windows builds are often supported (though some students adopted Linux to avoid glitches). 2/4
3
2
20
Contributing is becoming easier thanks to pull request workflows, widespread adoption of continuous integration, various code check bots, and the use of a [WIP] tag to allow incremental reviewing of work in progress. 3/4
2
1
18