[racket] Unload an FFI library

Dmitry Pavlov

Aug 9, 2012, 9:57:29 AM8/9/12
to us...@racket-lang.org
Hello,

The topic of unloading a library loaded with ffi-lib
was raised in 2010:

http://lists.racket-lang.org/users/archive/2010-August/041023.html

The answer was that Racket can not unload a library.
Has there been any update since then?

Best regards,

Dmitry
____________________
Racket Users list:
http://lists.racket-lang.org/users

Matthew Flatt

Aug 9, 2012, 11:03:20 AM8/9/12
to Dmitry Pavlov, us...@racket-lang.org
At Thu, 09 Aug 2012 17:57:29 +0400, Dmitry Pavlov wrote:
> The topic of unloading a library loaded with ffi-lib
> was raised in 2010:
>
> http://lists.racket-lang.org/users/archive/2010-August/041023.html
>
> The answer was that Racket can not unload a library.
> Has there been any update since then?

No, there's still no support for unloading.

Hendrik Boom

Aug 9, 2012, 11:40:23 AM8/9/12
to us...@racket-lang.org
On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 09:03:20AM -0600, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> At Thu, 09 Aug 2012 17:57:29 +0400, Dmitry Pavlov wrote:
> > The topic of unloading a library loaded with ffi-lib
> > was raised in 2010:
> >
> > http://lists.racket-lang.org/users/archive/2010-August/041023.html
> >
> > The answer was that Racket can not unload a library.
> > Has there been any update since then?
>
> No, there's still no support for unloading.

If there were to be support for unloading, is should prorbably be
invoked by the garbage collector.

-- hendrik

Dmitry Pavlov

Aug 9, 2012, 1:09:00 PM8/9/12
to Matthew Flatt, us...@racket-lang.org
>> http://lists.racket-lang.org/users/archive/2010-August/041023.html
>>
>> The answer was that Racket can not unload a library.
>> Has there been any update since then?
>
> No, there's still no support for unloading.

It would be nice to have at least REloading,
at least "for debugging purposes only" or such.
(also, as far as I understand, reloading brings less
safety issues that unloading). Without the ability
to reload the FFI, it is quite hard to develop a
C library in parallel with Racket code that uses it.
You need to restart DrRacket after each change
in the C library that you want to test in Racket ...

In all other areas -- particularly DSL development --
Racket is the best! I can work on my DSL all the way
incrementally without restarting the IDE.

Best regards,

Dmitry