Quickscript Competition

Stephen De Gabrielle

Jul 1, 2020, 6:03:02 AM7/1/20
to Racket Users
Quickscript Competition:

Quickscript is the scripting functionality behind the DrRacket Scripts menu:

For the month of July we will be running a Quickscript competition: Write your own script and win prizes! There will be weekly winners in categories to be determined by the judges and overall awards at the end of the month.

We follow Racket's and the ACM's Code of Conduct.

There will be amazing prizes!
  • An exclusive badge for your github profile recognising your efforts and contribution to the community.
  • Socks/Mugs/Hats/Stickers with the Racket logo - to be announced on Racket Users mailing list/google group.

Scripts licensed appropriately will be included in a package for installation and universal fame.

End date: 31-July

Getting started

Getting started for the impatient in DrRacket.

See quickscript-extra [readme] [scripts] for a bunch of useful and example scripts.

Help and discussion will be available through the #quickscript-competition slack channel.

Once your script is ready, submit your entry!

Need some ideas to get started?

Stephen De Gabrielle

Jul 2, 2020, 3:48:06 PM7/2/20
to Racket Users
Need some ideas?  Check out some examples from quickscript-extra, and some starter ideas below.
Ideas
  • csv->sexp or json->sexp (use existing libraries)
  • sort a list of numbers from the selection
  • lexer with split string
  • spell check or spelling fixer (more complicated)
  • beautify code (using pretty-print for example)
  • ASCII art!
  • Add Windows and/or Macos support to git. (maybe use open-terminal as a starting point?)
  • Post the current selection to the Racket Slack. (tweet is an example of using a web api)
  • Make a game? (maybe use 2htdp/universe or lux?)

Looking for more ideas? What about porting some of emacs scripts and vim scripts?

When you have an idea...Getting started for the impatient is a good starting point.

Some existing examples
Win Prizes and the Admiration of your peers.

Good Luck & Have fun

Stephen

PS a ROT13 encoder/decoder was the first entry!

Stephen De Gabrielle

Jul 6, 2020, 7:54:34 AM7/6/20
to Racket Users
Hi Racketeers,

Our first week of the Quickscript competition is almost over.

Did I mention that our sponsor has a *significant prize budget* AND participation gives you an exclusive badge for your GitHub profile[1].

The good news is it’s not to late to enter!

Kind regards,

Stephen

[1] this is implemented with the Organisation and teams functionality in GitHub.

Stephen De Gabrielle

Jul 6, 2020, 8:12:59 AM7/6/20
to Racket Users
Hi

Just to clarify:
No cash prizes - Stickers, mugs, caps and T-shirts!

We don’t have corporate sponsors*.

Stephen

* if you are interested in sponsoring Racket please consider one of the GitHub Sponsors tiers. It will give you exposure to a community of high quality developers from and graduates who have learnt from the best teachers.