raco pkg for a one-directory, moveable installation

knigh...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2022, 5:46:20 PMAug 8
to Racket Users
Hello all

I'm trying to generate an installation that is self-contained, that I can move to another machine just by tar-untar or zip-unzip.

The target machine may never be connected to the internet, so if I want to install packages I must follow this procedure.

This command
.\raco pkg install  --scope-dir ../PKGS

fails with this message:
raco pkg install: cannot link a directory that overlaps with a collection path
  collection path: C:\sks\bin\rkt85\collects\
  link path: C:\sks\bin\rkt85\
  as package: rkt85

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Philip McGrath

Aug 8, 2022, 10:24:11 PMAug 8
to knigh...@gmail.com, Racket Users
Hi,

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022, at 5:46 PM, knigh...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I'm trying to generate an installation that is self-contained, that I can move to another machine just by tar-untar or zip-unzip.
>
> The target machine may never be connected to the internet, so if I want to install packages I must follow this procedure.

I would suggest running:

./bin/raco pkg config -i --set default-scope installation

Setting the default scope to `installation` will cause commands like `raco pkg install` to install packages in the "pkgs" directory of your self-contained installation, rather than putting packages in a user-specific place by default.

(The more general `--scope` option is tricky to use correctly: I would think of it as a hook for higher-level tools.)

-Philip

knigh...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2022, 4:06:01 PMAug 9
to Racket Users
Thanks, that fixed it - I had set up  a script to do this a while ago but lost it,
and forgot that this was in there.