Release for v8.5 has begun

John Clements

Apr 9, 2022, 1:57:44 PM4/9/22
to Racket Developers
My apologies, it looks like I sent this message on the 7th using a server that doesn’t have the ability to post to this google group. Hopefully this one goes through.

   The release process for v8.5 has begun: release checkpoints have
   been created for all packages in the main distribution, and release
   branches have been created when necessary. You can go on using
   `master` branches as usual. The main Racket repo's is now bumped to
   v8.5.0.1 (to avoid having two different trees with the same version).

   If you have any bug-fixes and changes (including history updates)
   that need to go in the release then make sure to specify that in the
   commit message by using the word `merge` or `release` or mail the
   relevant repo manager [1]) the commit SHA1s. Do not push commits
   directly to `release` branches.

   Please make sure that code that you're responsible for is as stable
   as possible, and let me know if there is any new work that should
   not be included in this release.

NOW IS THE TIME TO FIX BUGS THAT YOU KNOW ABOUT <<<

   The time between now and the end of the merge window is for fixing
   new errors that prevent proper functioning of major components and
   that show up during the preparation for a release. You can also
   finalize piece of work that is not yet complete, but please avoid
   merging new features.

   Note that nightly builds will go on as usual (starting from
   v8.5.0.1 and going up as usual), and pre-release builds will be
   available shortly at

     https://pre-release.racket-lang.org/

   Please tell me if you think that this release is significant enough
   that it should be announced on the users list for wider testing.

   [1] https://github.com/racket/racket/wiki/release-repo-managers

   Upcoming dates:
   - 15th: Merge window ends, testing starts
   - 22nd: Testing ends

Best,

John