Funding Sources

Randy Tate

Apr 3, 2015, 12:30:00 AM4/3/15
to rachel...@googlegroups.com

I'm looking for some pointers and tips about funding sources for setting up new computer labs with Raspberry Pi 2 and RACHEL content.  Our organization (www.kidsoncomputers.org) has typically deployed donated desktop or laptop computers ... or purchased desktop computers when creating new labs.  Often we deploy a Ubuntu box with Apache, PHP, and RACHEL content for use in labs w/o Internet access.

At least one of our future labs in Oaxaca City, MX (scheduled for June 2015) is proposed to be Raspberry Pi 2 + RACHEL lab.  We are exploring options like Raspberry Pi Education Foundation as a potential source of funding for the Pis, monitors, SD cards, etc.

Has anyone had any success in acquiring funding?  If so, please send pointers for foundations, recommendation for requested funding amounts, how much did you spend per Pi workstation, etc.

Also, we'd love to hear from any RACHEL users in Oaxaca or elsewhere in Mexico.

Thanks!

Randy Tate
VP - Kids on Computers

Jeremy Schwartz

Apr 3, 2015, 12:35:30 AM4/3/15
to rachel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Randy,

World Possible, Mercy Beyond Borders, and Powering Potential have all had success with the Raspberry Pi Foundation.  They're going through a bit of a transition, the President is moving on and no one new has been named.  I think they're pushing applications out till June, but they are quick responders to proposals.

We got general support for RACHEL-Pi, not a project.  Powering Potential got support for their Pi-oneer (RACHEL + projector) and Mercy Beyond Borders is building a lab like you mention.

Best,
jeremy