World Possible Executive Director Report - 4/18 - 5/2

Jeremy Schwartz

May 2, 2014, 8:07:36 PM5/2/14
to Jeremy Schwartz, Rachel Project

Hi team,

Some fun updates from the last couple weeks

·         FTP issues were fixed, updated 64GB Pi images are available via FTP.  So is a smaller 16GB RACHEL package w/ Hindi content

·         Our Hindi package utilizes UwAmp instead of MoWeS.  No longer conflicts with Skype and allows for better installation on individual PCs.  Will transition English and Spanish as well.

·         Bruce Baikie (Inveneo) presented RACHEL at a UNICEF conference at Harvard (pic attached)

·         One page marketing overview for RACHEL (printable PDF)

·         We have a blog.  Our first post is really just an excerpt by perhaps our longest time users, Uconnect in Uganda, who worked with Norberto and the original RACHEL.  Some great advice by Lisa Stern.

·         Helen in Tanzania passed along some great photos of users at the MaaSAE girls school (attached)

·         Israel has been leading teacher training around RACHEL  and updated RACHEL w/ KA-Lite.  His fantastic overview is attached (Spanish - Mayo)

·         Joan and Israel continue to see great rewards from RACHEL work, a picture of a student using RACHEL to build a drip irrigation system in Guatemala (attached)

·         Lastly, we have confirmed success of RACHEL-Droid, installed on a $50 HKC tablet, accessing content and serving content when configured as a local access point (more details coming).

Other external updates:

4/18/2014

Dev

Don B.

Laos, Indo, Chili

Don Bennett idealist.org posting for translations

4/20/2014

Update

Seth O/ Dave M

Ghana

Debrief from Ghana trip (pictures)

4/21/2014

Content

Israel

Guatemala

New collection of songs and children’s reading books (esp)

4/21/2014

Update

Valentino

South Sudan

Met w/ Valentino and Carrie, waiting on content for S. Sudan RACHEL

4/22/2014

New User

Karin T

Dominican Republic

Potential new deployment in July near La Romana (150 students)

4/22/2014

Update

Edna B

Rwanda

Offer to demonstrate RACHEL Pi for new Rwanda users

4/23/2014

Update

Pat M.

Uganda

Karamoja.org update on deployments to date and upcoming

4/23/2014

Content

Joan F.

Guatemala

Potential life skills, goal setting and vocational training content (esp)

4/23/2014

Content

Hetav

CK12

Check in on Hindi content solutions

4/24/2014

Update

Esra

Namibia

Registering World Possible chapter in Namibia

4/24/2014

New User

Israel

Guatemala

RACHEL training at San Mateo Milpas Altas, Sacatapequez

4/24/2014

Update

Kabera B

Rwanda

Kigali, Rwanda - potential new user, follow up from anyone?

4/25/2014

Dev

Hugh N.

RACHEL-Pi

Safe Shutdown Script, review and clean of 64GB Pi image content

4/27/2014

Update

Bill C.

Honduras

Riecken funding new technology communities in Honduras

4/28/2014

Content

Venkat

India

Provided Toys from Trash videos for UP package (Hindi/Telug so far)

4/28/2014

Dev

Blog

World Possible

Opened the World Possible blog (www.worldpossible.org/blog)

4/29/2014

Dev

Aptus

Canada

Demonstration of using miniPC to serve RACHEL content

4/29/2014

Foundation

Ben N

Ghana (North)

Raspberry Pi Jam in Northern Ghana, do we have participants??

4/30/2014

Update

Pranav

India

Finalized UP package for Pranav presentation to UP leadership

4/30/2014

Conference

Bruce B.

Harvard

Bruce as presenter and panelist at UNIVER talk conference

5/1/2014

Content

Louis S.

KA-Lite

Helping organize KA-Lite Espanol packages into smaller chunks

5/1/2014

Foundation

Pasha Group

San Francisco

Donation of 18 laptops and potential pipeline for more hardware

5/2/2014

New User

Justin W.

South Sudan

RACHEL Pi in Ajuong Thok (Unity state) - 2,600 students

5/2/2014

New User

Arnold P.

Uganda

Looking for refurbished computers to distribute

5/2/2014

Update

Helen J

Tanzania

Great feedback and pictures (attached) from MaaSAE Girls School

Please reply “unsubscribe” to be removed

Thanks,
Jeremy

--

Jeremy Schwartz

Executive Director

World Possible

+1.415.535.2138

World Possible is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization

bruce.jpg
one pager.pdf
a nursing student seaching matereals conserning health.jpg
Mayo.doc
guatemala.jpg

Jeremy Schwartz