I see a lot of Math and Science, but very little Technology, Art and Engineering. Is it a SteaM project?

Robert Alexandru

Jun 5, 2014, 12:10:49 PM6/5/14
to rachel...@googlegroups.com
It is difficult to teach technology and engineering even in more developed countries.
With a science and math oriented society, the vocational and technical schools are often (as in Romania, where from I write) accessed by pupils who choosed this schools only because they did not entered in science schools, mostly with poor previous scholar results and mostly difficult social condition (one or two parent working abroad, often obliged to gain a salary at little age, poor home and live condition, even worse after last great economical crisis)
It is a great challenge to bring thus kids closer to a motivated and active learning style and projects such like RACHEL would be a great mean to have a learning environment readied for them.
Only that I found that technical and engineering parts are less present in the project.

Also, I have found very interesting such practical articles, like creating musical instruments. They are also many other artisan technology on the world, and also technologies such as could be used in poorer towns, villages and households...

I realise that the dimension of the project must be limited to a realistic size (A 64 SD is here costlier as a Raspberry Pi), but I would like to signal this need, for a larger and deeper presence of the technical parts of the common knowledge.

Also, I would like to have a variant for using RACHEL with a Raspberry Pi server, with an external HDD, because such HDD-s are easier (and cheeper) to be found, and -perhaps- more reliable as the SDD and USB sticks.